Department: School Site
Supervised by: Superintendent or Designee
Work Year: 260 Days or Assigned by Superintendent
Job Purpose Statement:
The position of Custodian/Maintenance is done for the purpose/s of maintaining an attractive, sanitary and safe facility; providing adequate arrangements for meetings, classroom activities and events; and minimizing property damage, loss and liability exposure. This position also serves as first line repair and maintenance of facilities, equipment, and grounds. Employees classified as Custodian/Maintenance may be assigned to work during evening hours.
Job Qualifications: Education and Experience:
- High School Diploma or equivalent required
- Experience in building maintenance preferred
- Training in asbestos identification and BBP training
Licenses, Certifications, Bonding, and/or Testing Required:
- Criminal Justice Fingerprint Clearance
- Certifications in electrical and construction/HVAC - preferred
- Certification – Pest Management - preferred
- Valid Driver’s License and evidence of insurability
- Successfully pass district background screening
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Ability to prioritize and plan work activities and use time efficiently.
- Knowledge of methods, materials, equipment, and tools used in routine building and grounds maintenance.
- Ability to approach others in a tactful manner.
- Competent skills in carpentry, glazing, electrical, plumbing, painting, masonry, replacement, remodeling, projects, and other tasks, as assigned.
- Ability to follow instructions and respond to supervisor direction, take responsibility for own actions, and commit to long hours of work when necessary to reach goals.
- Ability to perform basic cleaning and maintenance operations
Essential Job Functions:
- Arranges furnishings and equipment for the purpose of providing adequate preparations for meetings, classroom activities and events (i.e., regular school, community education, special events).
- Cleans school facilities (i.e. classrooms, offices, multipurpose rooms, grounds, windows, restrooms, sinks, carpets, floors, garbage cans, wastebaskets, gym cafetorium, and other areas as directed by principal or head custodian) for the purpose of maintaining a sanitary, safe and attractive environment
- Delivers variety of items (e.g. supplies, mail, packages, furniture) for the purpose of distributing the materials to the appropriate parties
- Maintains regular and appropriate attendance and is on time for assignment(s) for the purpose of meeting the needs of the students and the district.
- Informs principal, supervisor, other site personnel and students for the purpose of providing information regarding activities, safety and/or proper maintenance of facilities
- Secures facilities and grounds for the purpose of minimizing property damage, loss and liability and ensuring safety at work site (i.e., unlock & lock doors, secure gates, check windows, turn lights off/on; operate heating plant and equipment)
- Assists other personnel as may be required for the purpose of supporting them in the completion of their work activities
- Repairs furniture, equipment and minor building damage for the purpose of ensuring that items are available and in safe working condition.
- Maintains ice & snow free access to the building
- Requests equipment and supplies through the principal or supervisor for the purpose of maintaining inventory and ensuring availability of items as needed to properly maintain facilities
- Maintains grounds and operates equipment as required.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Mitchell School District
$19.80 - $28.11 / Hourly