Noise & Vibration Engineer
Santa Clara Valley (Cupertino) , California , United States
Posted: Apr 7, 2021
Weekly Hours: 40
Role Number: 200236729
At Apple, new ideas have a way of quickly becoming extraordinary products, services, and customer experiences. Mitigating undesirable noises from the mechanical and electrical components in our products contributes to the overall product quality and helps Apple maintain status as the industry standard. The Apple Noise and Vibration (N&V) team works with obsessive attention to detail so that we deliver this quality to millions of people around the world. N&V is looking for someone to support the design and validation testing of mechanical noises across all products. Our team is responsible for measuring and evaluating the noise produced by buttons and switches from concept to mass production. This requires continuous and cross-functional collaboration with a wide variety of teams.
- 5+ years of noise and vibration experience
- Solid fundamental knowledge of acoustics principles, preferably in high-volume consumer electronics environment
- Basic familiarity with acoustic testing, including microphone selection and data acquisition parameters
- Good hearing over the audible frequency range
- Ability to effectively contribute in cross-functional, fast-paced, multitasking environment
- Creativity in problem solving
- Data analysis proficiency with a programming language (MATLAB preferred)
An N&V engineer drives validation testing and target setting in both lab and manufacturing environments. They develop noise limits based on level and sound quality metrics derived from experiments and user studies to determine key attributes driving user perception of noise. When noise issues arise, they perform root cause analysis using state-of-the-art facilities and instrumentation for ultra low-noise measurements. N&V engineers clearly communicate complex data and operating procedures to both technical and non-technical team members before working with cross-functional teams on creative solutions to noise problems.
Education & Experience
While most N&V engineers have advanced degrees in Acoustics, Mechanical Engineering, or related fields, we welcome candidates with non-traditional career paths. MS plus three years equivalent experience or higher desired.
- A few useful skills but not required:
- - Experience in anechoic/hemi-anechoic chambers and the use of precision-grade instrumentation
- - Solid testing and data analysis skills for both transient and steady state signals
- - Understanding of noise generation in mechanical and electro-mechanical systems, including quantification and modification of the sound of buttons, switches, latches, and actuators
- - Background in user study design methodology and implementation