Apple Media Products, Podcasts Server Engineer
New York City , New York , United States
Software and Services
Posted: Apr 8, 2021
Weekly Hours: 40
Role Number: 200236926
Podcasts Software Engineering is a small, focused team that builds the Podcasts experience used by millions of people across all of our platforms including iOS, Apple Watch, Apple TV, and HomePod. We're based in San Francisco, and we frequently collaborate with teams in Cupertino and London, including Design, Apple Music, Siri, Apple Watch, and many others. As a client app, we're exposed to the full stack from OS internals to third-party RESTful APIs. As part of our team, you'll work with software engineering teams throughout Apple to make Podcasts a truly cross-platform experience. You'll propose architecture, follow through with implementation, and iterate in response to feedback. The services you make will generate directly impact Apple Podcasts listeners. This is a hands-on work environment where engineers are expected to be self-motivated, proficient with a wide range of technologies, and support several projects concurrently.
- At least 7+ years of professional/industry software engineering experience
- Has shipped customer-facing features or product functionality
- In-depth development experience with server-side Java (or similar languages), expert knowledge of algorithms and data structures
- Strong organizational skills and experience working on large multi-functional teams
- Experience modeling data in relational and NoSQL databases
- Experience writing REST APIs
- Familiarity with micro-services architecture and server side technologies
- Aptitude to independently learn new technologies
- Collaborative, team-oriented attitude
- Have a belief in automation and tooling as a critical part of the software lifecycle
- Effective communication skills with people from diverse technical backgrounds
- Excellent problem solving, critical thinking, and communication skills
As a member of our small team, you may find yourself working on innovative new server side code that can deliver continuous podcast playback under the most adverse of conditions, or designing, instrumenting, and analyzing user behavior metrics. Each project will require a different subset of your skills, from deep technical knowledge of an OS internal to an amazing ability to communicate and persuade. In addition to your primary development responsibilities, you'll share the load with your teammates to make sure bug reports are quickly and thoroughly addressed, our continuous integration system is healthy and sufficient, and our extended team knows what we're up to.
Education & Experience
BS in Computer Science or related field.