Monday, April 12, 2021
Inc. (NYSE: GCI) is a subscription-led and digitally focused media and
marketing solutions company committed to empowering communities to thrive. With
an unmatched reach at the national and local level, Gannett touches the lives
of millions with our Pulitzer-Prize winning content, consumer experiences and
benefits, and advertiser products and services.
Our current portfolio of media
assets includes USA TODAY, local media organizations in 46 states in the U.S.,
and Newsquest, a wholly owned subsidiary operating in the United Kingdom with
more than 120 local news media brands. Gannett also owns the digital marketing
services companies ReachLocal, Inc., UpCurve, Inc., and WordStream, Inc., which
are marketed under the LOCALiQ brand, and runs the largest media-owned events
business in the U.S., USA TODAY NETWORK Ventures.
To connect with us, visit www.gannett.com.
Local News Reporter - Terrebonne and Lafourche Parishes
The Courier/houmatoday.com and Daily Comet/dailycomet.com, sister papers in Houma and Thibodaux, La and part of the USA TODAY NETWORK, areseeking a reporter to cover local newsin Terrebonne and Lafourche parishes, a Cajun community about an hour southwest of New Orleans.
We're looking for someone with a strong nose for news, healthy curiosity and the diligence it takes to write stories that go beyond the superficial.Were looking for someone with a strong desire to write interesting and insightful stories about local events and people quickly, accurately and authoritatively.
The ideal candidate will think critically on the fly, consider no assignment too big or small and be unafraid to ask probing questions. You'll work flexible hours dictated often by news events and our need to respond quickly and effectively.
Our reporters work in multiple media, including photo,video, print and online. Dexterity in all of these, as well as with common word-processing, spreadsheet, database and video-editing systems, is preferred. A four-year college degree is required. Previous experience at a daily newspaper or other professional news organization is preferred but not necessary.
You'll deliver news to readers of The Courier and Daily Comet, sister papers in Houma and Thibodaux, La., with a combined daily circulation of about 8,000. Our papers consistently earn major journalism awards, and The Courier or the Daily Comet have been named Louisiana Press Association Newspaper of the Year for most of the past two decades. Both papers are owned by Gannett.
- Creates storytelling that accurately informs, entertains and engages specific audiences and platforms through the use of metrics.
- Works toward becoming the communitys leading voice in area of expertise.
- Connects with the community through storytelling and outreach (social media, on camera, forums, community leadership, etc.) Provides thoughtful analysis of complex issues.
- Works with content strategist to evaluate what's working and what's not and develops ongoing plans to better satisfy audience needs.
- Collaborates with content team to provide all appropriate elements for stories (i.e., photos, videos and graphics). Captures basic photos and video as needed.
- Promotes personal brand, the brands of colleagues and the institutional brand.
- Provides great customer service, helping readers find answers and solutions.
- Bachelor's or masters in communications, journalism or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
This can be an entry-level position, but 1-2 years' reporting/newsroom experience is preferred.
Adept at taking photos and video and the ability to file quickly across platforms: mobile, desktop and social media.
Strong command of grammar and AP style.
Strong copy-editing skills and the ability to produce content that is clean, accurate and "publication ready."
Passionate and enthusiastic about news and content that will work well with audiences on social platforms.
Comfortable in fluid, fast-breaking, stressful situations.
A desire to grow and develop a key beat in our newsrooms.
Comfortable using social media such as Twitter, Facebook and Instagram to enhance reporting and promote stories.
Understands reporting ethics and sourcing.
Excels in a fast-paced news environment and understands the digital first mission.
Collaborates well with others and can work with a team on the biggest stories.
Able to work occasional late nights or weekends as needed by the news cycle.
This role requires a valid drivers license, reliable transportation, and the minimum liability insurance required by state law.
Employment is contingent on passing a post-offer pre-employment background check and a motor vehicle record check & drug screen (for driving roles only).
How to Apply:
We are eager to learn more about you and how you fit this role. When you apply, dont limit your upload to a resume; show us what youve done. To do so, put together a single document file that includes the following, in this order:
1. Your resume one to two pages.
2. A cover letter that outlines how you would approach the job.
3. Links to 3-6 online samples of your work. Show us what youve produced or had a hand in that best reflects what you can do in your desired role.
It is important that these items be assembled into a single document and uploaded in PDF format. Completing these steps will ensure that your application receives the highest consideration.
Gannett Co., Inc.is a proud equal opportunity employer. We are a drug free, EEO employer committed to a diverse workforce. We will consider all qualified candidates regardless of race, color, national origin, sex, age, marital status, personal appearance, sexual orientation, gender identity, family responsibilities, disability, education, political affiliation, or veteran status.