North Dakota State University (NDSU), located in Fargo, ND, is seeking applications for the position of Director of Human Resources. This position is responsible for strategic and innovative initiatives designed to improve the processes and systems for the campus community through training programs, procedure, policy and operational efficiencies. The Director leads NDSU in the areas of recruiting and retention efforts, performance reviews, compensation decisions and employee relations, building on our reputation as an employer of choice. This is a full-time, benefitted position that reports directly to the Vice President for Finance and Administration.
The successful candidate will possess and/or demonstrate:
- Personal and professional integrity, strong analytical skills and a commitment to collaboration, innovation, flexibility and creativity.
- Ability to clearly and effectively communicate, both written and verbally, with a wide range of internal and external colleagues and constituencies, including faculty, staff and students. Must be able to lead strategies for organizational development, recruitment, training, retention, compensation and benefits. Must possess strong analytical skills, with proven experience in analyzing, interpreting and ensuring compliance with all necessary federal and state laws.
- A solid record as a collaborative leader with the ability to guide staff through institutional change and lead by example, with a focus on NDSUs mission and service.
- A strong understanding of the [Land Grant] academic mission and context, operate with a people orientation, and possess exceptional communication and leadership skills.
- Ability to lead by influence and example, be a champion for change. Promote and cultivate positive transformation.
- Ability to lead the human resources department that is characterized by best practices that promote operational excellence, adherence to institutional values and high-performing employees.
- Ability to build on organizational culture within the University that is characterized by increased flexibility, customer service and a strategic versus transactional orientation. Engage HR team to seek out ways in which it can provide added value to University clients and continuously working to improve the quality of HR services and delivery.
Candidates from diverse backgrounds are invited to apply, including those with progressively responsible human resources leadership within higher education, not-for-profit and for-profit industry, consulting, or a combination of all or some of the above.
The successful candidate will lead an office of HR professionals who serve more than 6,100 full- and part-time employees located on NDSUs main campus and throughout the state of North Dakota, to include the Extension Service, Main Research Station and seven Research Extension Centers.
As the states land grant institution, NDSU has a longstanding commitment to bringing educational opportunities and research solutions to the people of North Dakota. NDSU excels in its support of the states economic engine of agriculture, with signature programs in Engineering, Health Professions, pharmaceutical, biological and physical sciences. We also collaborate with other leading research universities and ND higher education institutions on programs and courses, as well as providing administrative payroll services.
As a student focused, land-grant, research university NDSU continues to evolve, adapt and thrive and continue our commitment to affordability, efficiency and productivity.
- Bachelors degree in Human Resources, Business or related field.
- Seven or more years of Human Resources experience indicating progressive human resource responsibilities, including supervisory experience and working directly with organizational leadership.
- Professional experience in providing vision, strategy, and/or innovation to improve HR activities to align with policies, procedures and the overall university mission and goals.
- Demonstrated ability to promote and understand the customer experience.
- Demonstrated success in utilizing data to inform decision making, plan benchmarking activities and HR metrics when developing solutions to retention and employee training needs.
- Excellent Microsoft Office skills, and working knowledge of HR technology.
- Extensive interpersonal communication, collaboration and leadership skills for working effectively and building relationships with individuals at all levels in a complex organizational environment.
- Advanced degree in Human Resources/related field (equivalent applicable experience will be considered)
- PHR, SHRM-CP, SPHR or SHRM-SCP certification
- Five or more years of supervisory experience
- Experience in higher education Human Resources
- Experience in a large, complex organization
Application materials should include a cover letter addressing candidate interest in and qualifications for the position, a resume addressing the minimum qualifications, veterans preference documents (if applicable) and five professional references with e-mail addresses and phone numbers. References will be contacted later in the search process and with prior notification to the candidate.
Confidential discussions about this opportunity may be arranged by contacting the search committee chair, Cynthia Rott, at firstname.lastname@example.org or 701.231.7458.
All submissions will be treated in confidence and should be sent electronically (PDF) to: email@example.com.
PRIORITY CONSIDERATION INFORMATION
Screening will begin on May 15, 2021. Applications received by the screening date will be given full consideration. The position will be open until filled.
NDSU does not discriminate in its programs and activities on the basis of age, color, gender expression/identity, genetic information, marital status, national origin, participation in lawful off-campus activity, physical or mental disability, pregnancy, public assistance status, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, spousal relationship to current employee, or veteran status, as applicable. Direct inquiries to: Vice Provost, Title IX/ADA Coordinator, Old Main 201, 701-231-7708, firstname.lastname@example.org.