Product Design Engineer - Returning to Work
Santa Clara Valley (Cupertino) , California , United States
Posted: Apr 1, 2021
Weekly Hours: 40
Role Number: 200235862
Returning to a career after extended time off? Welcome back - and welcome to Apple. Whether you took time off for your family, military service, education, health, or a personal passion project, we value your entire life experience. After all, Apple's culture depends on a wide range of talent and perspectives. It's our diverse collective of thinkers and doers that makes innovation possible. That's why we created the Apple Return to Work program. It features full-time returnships that provide mentorship, professional development, and networking opportunities, as well as employee benefits. Eligible applicants will have at least five years of relevant work experience and have taken a career break of two or more years. Do you love utilizing your creativity, spatial reasoning & attention to detail to collaboratively solve design challenges? The Mac Product Design team works with other engineers and designers to seamlessly integrate technology into the next generation of portable and desktop computers. We apply a genuine sense of curiosity and dedication to delivering truly innovative and relevant products that enrich our customers' lives. We want you to join our cohesive and diverse family of Product Design Engineers to do the most impactful work of your life. In this role, you will ideate concepts, design down to the details, prototype & test, and travel to assembly sites to optimize the design. Apple Inc. is an equal opportunity employer.
- Genuine curiosity
- A sense of ownership
- Engineering fundamentals: solid mechanics, material science, heat transfer, mechanism design, manufacturing
- Excellent communication skills: both written and verbal, ability to clearly communicate design ideas and contribute to brainstorms
- Skills you will learn on the job:
- tolerance analysis, geometric dimensioning & tolerancing, design for assembly/manufacturability, designing for high volume manufacturing of injection molded, die cast, sheetmetal, and machined parts, metrology, simple fixture design, computer aided design, statistical process control
- Collaborate with industrial designers, product integrity, hardware, software, and technology groups to refine & execute on the design of the product. - Develop initial product layouts. Generate concepts, prototype, demonstrate & test to drive down-selection. - Partner with external vendors & internal manufacturing teams to optimize designs for function, cosmetics and manufacturability. - Ensure design meets requirements throughout its lifecycle by performing stress, tolerance, and failure analyses. - Travel up to 20% in Asia to support factory builds.
Education & Experience