Senior Maps Software Engineer
Santa Clara Valley (Cupertino) , California , United States
Software and Services
Posted: Apr 16, 2021
Weekly Hours: 40
Role Number: 200238455
Maps Evaluation is looking for a senior maps engineer, one with an eye for quality and a passion for automation and spatial analysis. The ideal candidate will be one with substantive professional experience working in a Maps data or Maps QA role, specifically one that has worked with 3D spatial data and has a deep understanding of geospatial applications, techniques, and transformations. This team supports an R&D project that is still going through prototyping stages, meaning that there will be a lot of ad hoc analysis and feedback required among our team, data teams, project managers, and content specification teams. The successful candidate will help to lead those efforts, ensuring that our hard work is communicated to key stakeholders to help shape a successful (yet-to-be-released) Maps product.
- 6+ years of experience of applied spatial analysis in a professional setting, working in a medium-to-large scale mapping enterprise (comfortable working with big data)
- 6+ years of frequent practical application of Python and Scala programming languages
- 5+ years of experience writing complex SQL, PostGIS and Hive queries
- 5+ years experience working with 3d data and analyzing its spatial fidelity
- 5+ years experience working with remote sensing technologies (imagery, LiDAR, etc), to include: a comprehensive understanding of projections, transformations, sensor limitations and resolutions, absolute vs. relative accuracy, and the intricacies of working with high quality topographic data
- A strong understanding of remote sensing technologies (imagery, LiDAR, etc) would be a bonus
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Good collaborative and presentation skills
- Strong understanding of map data QA methodologies
- 3+ years of experience in a Test Engineering is a bonus
- 1-2 years of experience working with Tableau (preferred) or a similar dashboard reporting solution is a bonus.
- Prior experience with Github or other source control systems - Shell scripting and Unix-based system administration.
Develop and implement test plans for high-resolution spatial data - Identify and execute improvements to ETL pipelines - Comfortable working on R&D projects, where the only constant is that things will change - Comfortable working under vague direction and leading more junior engineers and maps analysts - Foundational knowledge of statistics allows the candidate to design and implement meaningful spatial statistics
Education & Experience
B.S or advanced degree in Geography, GIS, Computer Science, or related field