CoreMedia Playback Engineer
Santa Clara Valley (Cupertino) , California , United States
Software and Services
Posted: Apr 18, 2021
Weekly Hours: 40
Role Number: 200238796
The Interactive Media Group (IMG) provides the media and graphics foundation across all of Apple's innovative products, including iPhone, AppleTV, Apple Watch, iPad, iPod, AirPods, and Mac, as well as professional and consumer applications from Final Cut to iWork. IMG takes the media experience to the next level on the iOS, tvOS, watchOS, macOS and Windows platforms with technologies such as AVFoundation, CoreMedia, CoreAudio, CoreAnimation and Metal. Our team is responsible for implementing software services around linear audiovisual media. This includes local media playback, video-on-demand and live streaming of multimedia content. Our media engine is used across Apple products such as Safari, Photos, Music, TV, iMovie on iOS and macOS as well as 3rd party applications. The CoreMedia engineering team within IMG is looking for a software engineer to join our team to work on media playback. We are looking for an experienced developer that has crafted and improved media playback workflows and has debugged sophisticated and layered software stacks. Our ideal candidate is curious, self-motivated, and detailed when they approach new challenges.
- 5+ years experience working in a large software development organization, working with multi-functional engineering teams
- Strong coding, reading and debugging skills in C
- Experience with and understanding of real-time multithreaded programming systems
- Knowledge of media playback workflows, protocols and performance needs
- Proven skills at debugging and critical thinking
- Effective verbal and written communication skills
The successful candidate for this role is a team-oriented professional with excellent communication skills and is comfortable in a fast-paced environment. The ideal candidate has experience in systems-level programming, a proven understanding of video, audio and audiovisual synchronization. Relevant experience would also include implementing video processing or capture functionality.
Education & Experience
BS or MS in Computer Science or equivalent.
- Desired but not required:
- Experience developing on iOS, macOS, BSD and/or Unix
- Experience with Xcode, Instruments and the OS X development toolchain Experience with iOS and OS X framework performance optimization Experience with Performance Toolkit, Performance Counter tools, VTune, XPerf/GPUView, valgrind or similar tools
- Familiarity with typical audio/video codecs: AAC, AC-3, H.264, HEVC
- Familiarity with typical multimedia file formats: QuickTime Movie, MPEG-4, MPEG-TS