RFIC Package and Module Design Engineer
San Diego , California , United States
Posted: Apr 19, 2021
Role Number: 200240578
Do you like to work on groundbreaking technologies that enable amazing new products? Do you have the attention for details and love for excellence to work towards an extraordinary result? Envision what you could do here! At Apple, we believe new ideas have a way of becoming extraordinary products, services, and customer experiences very quickly. Bring passion and dedication to your job and there's no telling what you could accomplish! We are looking for a hardworking, talented and passionate IC Packaging Engineer to join our team. In this highly visible role, you will own and drive advanced package and SiP module design and optimization in support of Apple's RF and 5G products. You will be responsible for package/SiP layout, RFI and SIPI optimization, design verification and tape out.
- Grasp of power integrity fundamentals and power-aware signal integrity for RF and high- speed serial interfaces.
- Ability to run quick performance assessment and to troubleshoot high-speed and RF impairments (Crosstalk mitigation, differential pairs, EMI/RFI, PCB/Package resonance) using Microwave and EM CAD (ADS, HFSS, CST, XIM, PowerSI)
- Experience in RF packaging design area, familiarity with package design tools such as Cadence APD/SiP; Familiarity with schematic capture and design tools such as Cadence Concept HDL
- Deep understanding in micro-electronic package structure, mechanical, electrical and thermal performance. Familiar with various package type and understand trade-offs, constraints
- Design experience of RFIC and 5G packages, SiP or module,
- Deep understanding in system specification and IC design, ability to work with design
- teams to translate IC/system requirement into package/SIP configuration
- Strong knowledge of signal and power integrity, familiar with SIPI tools (HFSS, XIM).
- Knowledge of high-speed layout constraints
- Strong knowledge of Design Rules Check (DRC) and Design for Manufacturing (DFM);
- Familiar with layout/artwork review tools such as CAM350/Valor or Calibre (CAD experience preferred).
As a Package and Module Design Engineer, your will be responsible for providing packaging solutions from concept to mass production for Apple's wireless and Cellular chips.
Work with multi-functional teams including platform architecture, RFIC design, PD, SoC design, systems, SIPI, package assembly and technology to understand system requirements and physical design limitations.
Integrate cross-functional deliveries to optimize silicon floor plan, bump placement and package pin out. Optimize signal/power integrity of package/SiP design and co-optimize physical design on PCB, SiP, package, and silicon IC;
Define package type, conduct feasibility study and implement the physical layout.
Collaborate with IC, RFI and SIPI design teams to optimize physical layout to meet chip design targets (insertion/return loss, isolation, crosstalk, PDN impedance, EMI emissions).
Drive package and module RF integration schemes including RF passives (antenna, balun, filter, IPD) as well as front-end integration (LNA, PA, switch)
Drive methodology, innovations, and productivity improvements in package/SiP design together with vendors and developers on feature development and bug resolution.
Education & Experience
MSc in Electrical Engineering with strong RF/EM or high-speed design foundations