Wireless System Design and Integration Engineer
Santa Clara Valley (Cupertino) , California , United States
Posted: Apr 20, 2021
Weekly Hours: 40
Role Number: 200240781
At Apple, we work every single day to craft products that enrich people's lives. Do you love working on challenges that no one has solved yet? Do you like changing the game? We have an opportunity for a forward-thinking and unusually hardworking Wireless System Engineer. As a member of our multifaceted group, you will have the rare and extraordinary opportunity to craft upcoming products that will delight and encourage millions of Apple's customers every single day. In this technical role, you will be responsible for physical layer system design, integration, and characterization of state-of-the-art wireless SoC products at the center of a silicon design group from conception to production.
- This is an individual technical contributor role that requires at least 5+ years of validated experience in system design, integration, bringing up and productization of wireless communication systems.
- Experience bringing up a wireless chip including initial bringup/tuning of blocks, tuning of the tx or rx chain, and/or implementation and optimization of radio or phy communication or calibration algorithms.
- Deep understanding of communication theory and signal processing related algorithms (such as timing recovery, signal estimation and detection, automatic gain control, RF impairment estimation and correction, channel estimation, equalization, etc.)
- Deep experience, knowledge and skills on system design, integration, bring up, characterization and debug of real silicon in lab.
- Experience using and understanding of the theory of operation of lab equipment (spectrum analyzer, signal generator, power meter, etc.).
- Experience in modem architecture, microprocessor architecture, hardware and software control.
- Experience with silicon prototyping, emulation systems, and virtual platforms is a plus.
- Experience with multi-radio coexistence management is a plus.
- Knowledge in existing wireless communication protocols: LTE/WCDMA/GSM, 802.11a/b/g/n/ac/ax/be, 802.11ad/ay or Bluetooth/BLE.
- Experience with Matlab, Python, Shell scripting and/or C/C++
- Excellent communications skills - both written and oral.
Implement system models for the wireless communication system and its RF/circuit impairments and design, simulate, and implement state-of-the-art physical layer wireless communication algorithms. Design algorithms for calibration, pre-equalization, cancellation, and/or pre-distortion techniques to achieve efficient and robust performance across a large number of parts, systems, and wireless channels. Implement fixed-point models and perform detailed performance investigation to allow performance sign-off and enable RTL bit-exact development. Realize PHY algorithms with digital designers using power and area efficient digital implementations. Realize PHY methods with firmware designers using high efficiency software implementations, and hardware acceleration. Validate and characterize algorithms on real silicon alongside RFIC and digital circuit designers and automation/test engineers. Bring-up and take to production state-of-the-art physical layer wireless communication system algorithms for very high data rate applications. Design firmware based algorithms involving MAC-PHY interactions and SW based PHY configurations and implement codes in Python and in firmware. Develop test plans and work with automation/test engineers to implement the same, collect and analyze test result, identify and debug issues.
Education & Experience
MS or Ph.D. with 5+ years of experience.