Santa Clara Valley (Cupertino) , California , United States
Posted: Apr 20, 2021
Weekly Hours: 40
Role Number: 200240647
Apple is looking for a Materials Engineer to join Panel Process and Optics (PPO) Engineering team. Materials Engineer is responsible for developing new materials and supporting processes that enable innovative manufacturing technologies to solve complex design challenges that have direct impact to future product, quality and delivery of Apple Displays & Touch. The individual in this role will serve as a focal point in the material development/selection/process development of advanced key process modules from the concept/architecture stage through product engineering validation builds. We work at a fast pace and require everyone to be highly self motivated. A successful candidate needs to be a flexible thinker and be able to problem-solve outside of their respective technical area.
- Sound knowledge and understanding of polymer chemistry, adhesives and polymer physics to able to interact seamlessly with material vendors.
- Hands-on experience in the development of new materials and demonstrated ability to create new material specifications.
- Ability to work backwards from product requirements to property specifications to material formulation, process optimization and material selection based on sound understanding of structure - property - processing - performance relations.
- Self-starter with proven ability to lead a project from lab scale development to high volume production without major last minute surprises
- Demonstrated ability to perform DOE, data analysis, SPC control.
- Demonstrated failure mode analysis, root cause investigation, and problem solving for product yield and quality issue.
- Excellent written & verbal communication skills and demonstrated leadership ability.
- Project Management- Excellent data handling, documentation, critical milestone creation, and organization skill.
- Ability for International business travel to support project implementation and collaborate with external vendors for product manufacturing.
New material development with vendors - Lead material suppliers to develop new display materials for specific programs within a given timeline. Developing fundamental understanding of structure-property relationships. Material search and selection - Select commercially available or existing materials that meet material success criteria. Data analysis - Develop new material characterization methods, conduct tests, data analysis, and troubleshooting. Process Development - Leads design and development of technically complex manufacturing processes including material selection, parameter optimization, equipment, metrology and system design to enable new product designs and functional requirements. Process FMEA - Lead PFMEA for new process technology. Failure Analysis - Lead root cause analysis and metrology development for issues related to new process technology. Cross-functional interaction with Product Design, Display Engineering, Display Operations and international vendors. Keep abreast of relevant industrial material and process manufacturing technical trends.
Education & Experience
Ph.D. M.S. or B.S. degree in Chemistry, Material science, or Chemical Engineer with experience in Material/Chemical industries