CITY OF BREMERTON invites applications for the position of:
Engineering Technician IV
SALARY: $34.00 - $40.12 Hourly
OPENING DATE: 04/16/21
CLOSING DATE: 05/01/21 05:00 PM
Under limited direction assists project engineers in the design and construction management of major construction projects or lead inspection of utility (water, wastewater and storm water) and transportation projects. Performs customer service and inspection to support development review and permitting for private construction projects. Provides oversight and mentoring of junior engineering staff.
REPRESENTATIVE ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
(Note – this list is intended only to illustrate the various types of work that may be performed. The omission of specific statements does not exclude them from the position.)
- Performs complex AutoCAD drafting to support municipal design projects. Prepares plans and assists with developing specifications for utility (water, wastewater and storm water) and street improvement projects.
- Creates maps using GIS software and updates mapping data for all public works infrastructure.
- Develops details and traffic control plans considering site specific constraints including utilities, access, constructability, cost, etc.
- Calculates quantities and performs research to assist the project engineer in developing construction cost estimates.
- Independently inspects and leads inspection of utility and street construction projects. Provides direction and oversight to other inspectors on large or complex projects.
- Ensures proper and timely completion of construction records and documentation to establish pay quantities, and reviews and resolves pay request issues when identified.
- Interprets construction documents and resolves conflicts between the plans and specifications with the contractor.
- Coordinates with the project engineer and the contractor to proactively identify and resolve issues before they become problems.
- Performs permitting and inspection for private construction projects ranging from individual single family homes to large scale residential or commercial developments.
- Coordinates with developers, contractors, City staff and the public on a variety of development construction and right-of-way issues including right-of-way use permits, vacations, construction, and traffic control.
- Calculates fees and issues a variety of permits for work in the right-of-way or connections to the City's utilities.
- Reviews construction sites to identify worksite safety issues and notify the contractor to resolve.
- Prepares legal documents for recording including easements and other agreements.
- Performs minor field survey data collection using GPS equipment and total station.
- Regular attendance is an essential requirement
- Performs related work as assigned and/or required
- Civil Engineering practices and principles
- Public works inspection and documentation
- CSI and WSDOT Standard Specifications
- City permitting and construction standards.
- AutoCAD (current release), Microsoft Word and Excel.
- Manual of Traffic Control Devices (MUTCD)
- Knowledge of construction safety practices
- Erosion and Sedimentation Control for construction sites
- WSDOT Construction Standards
- Survey principles and use of equipment
- GIS Software
- Communicate effectively in writing and verbally with engineers, contractors, developers, staff members and the general public.
- Work independently and organize workload.
- Lead, train, and review the work of other employees.
- Prepare clear and concise written reports.
- Quickly learn new concepts.
- Prepare permits, records, reports, and letters,
- Successfully interpret construction drawings and specifications.
- Understand sewer and storm systems and water system hydraulics
- Accurately perform complex technical calculations necessary for design and review of construction projects.
- Understand and develop legal descriptions.
- Use survey instruments.
- Get along with others and be an effective team member.
QUALIFYING EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE (MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS):
Any combination of education and experience equivalent to an Associate Degree in Engineering Technology and four (4) years of relevant field or office experience.
A valid Washington State driver's license is required. A CESCL Certification is preferred.
- Current Flagger Certificate
- Current CPR/First Aid
Click “Apply” To Apply Directly On Our Careers Page!