TSOs are responsible for providing security and protection of travelers across all transportation sectors in a courteous and professional manner. Their duties may also extend to securing high-profile events, important figures and/or anything that includes or impacts our transportation systems.
- Operating various screening equipment and technology to identify dangerous objects in baggage, cargo and/or on passengers, and preventing those objects from being transported onto aircraft
- Performing searches and screening, which may include physical interaction with passengers (e.g., pat downs, property searches) conducting bag searches and lifting/carrying bags, bins and property weighing up to 50lbs.
- Controlling terminal entry and exit points
- Interacting with the public, giving directions and responding to inquiries
- Retaining and implementing knowledge of all applicable Standard Operating Procedures
TSOs are eventually required to complete an immersive training program at the TSA Academy. Located in the Federal Law Enforcement Training Center (FLETC) in Glynco, GA, the program is a total of 80 compensable hours. TSA covers all travel expenses and lodging, as students must reside on-center or in FLETC-provided housing for the entirety of the program. While the TSA Academy provides the foundation for success, employees continue to receive training throughout their TSA career.
TSA accepts candidates of all different backgrounds and experience levels. Our basic requirements include:
- U.S. citizen or national
- 18 years of age or older
- High school diploma, GED or equivalent certificate
- Registered for Selective Service ( learn more )
- Able to pass a federal drug screening, medical evaluation and background investigation
- Available to work shifts at odd hours, occasional overtime and the ability to travel for training
Click to apply today!