This position is eligible for our comprehensive benefit plan, which includes medical, dental, retirement, optional life insurance, optional disability coverage and more. For detailed information please see our website at www.fdlrez.com. Go to programs/staff benefits.
Location: Fond du Lac Ojibwe Schools
Supervisor: Superintendent of Education
Closing Date: May 24, 2021
Rate of Pay/Range of Pay: $60,000.00 - $70,000.00 per year
GENERAL SUMMARY: Ojibwe culture is essential to learning in our community. Culturally responsive teaching is a pedagogy that we use to recognize the guidance that our Ojibwe culture gives us throughout every aspect over our lives. Under the realm of culturally responsive teaching for American Indian students, kindergarten through grade 12, the School-wide Assistant Principal works in collaboration with the building principal to provide; instructional leadership, policy development recommendations, program design and evaluation, and budget recommendations. The Assistant Principal also implements a behavior/discipline program based on trauma informed philosophies, positive behavior interventions, and restorative practices.
* Provides leadership in collaboration with the Building Principal and other designated personnel for the development, implementation, and continuous evaluation of a school-wide, comprehensive school improvement plan.
* Assists the principal in a data driven decision-making process in all relevant areas of the school program including curriculum, research-based teaching/learning strategies, instructional tools, professional development, and the student learning environment.
* Provides leadership with the Building Principal in collaborative planning, prioritization, and decision making process regarding policy; and development recommendations and procedures.
* Assists the Building Principal in the development, implementation, and evaluation of school-wide processes to identify personnel and program needs and provide pre-service and in-service education to address those identified needs.
* Implements a behavior/discipline program based on trauma informed philosophies and positive behavior interventions. Directs, evaluates, and facilitates the activities of the related school professional and non-professional staff members in the performance of their duties in relationship to the behavior/discipline program.
* Provides documentation of behavior (positive and negative) and resolutions as needed in Infinite Campus.
* Participates in student interventions such as Turnarounds, time-outs, and positive reinforcement activities.
* Collaborates and communications with regular education teachers, parents/guardians, and student regarding student behaviors, consequences, interventions, and other related information.
* Implements and enforces all policy, procedures and administrative rules and regulations.
* Assists the Building Principal in developing and administrates the following:
o Regular school-wide staff meeting
o Annual school calendar
o Teacher and para-professional schedule
o School board and other related reports (i.e. annual BIE School Report)
o Reviews and/or approves/denies leave notices as necessary and secure substitutes as necessary
o Annual school budgets in in compliance with federal and tribal practices in cooperation with the Tribal Council, School Board, and Superintendent.
* Assumes full responsibility of the school operations in the absence of the regular building principal.
* Attends all meetings/committees as required by the Building Principal
* Attends training and other related session's specific to meeting compliance with Bureau of Indian Education assurances and requirements.
* Assists the Building Principal in developing a program of public relations in order to further the community's understanding and support of the general school program.
* Coordinates with the Building Principal to plan and supervises emergency evacuation procedures
* Coordinates with appropriate personnel to provide academic needs (i.e. getting work from teacher and coordinating special education services) as needed
* Works in collaboration with community, staff, parents/guardians and students as needed, while maintaining a professional relationship
* Maintains professional standards toward creating confidential relationships with staff, students, and families
* Coordinates routine classroom cleaning/maintenance to ensure a safe clean and secure learning environment for all students.
* Appropriate work attire is required.
* Must attend all mandatory department meetings.
* Ensures confidentiality of financial records and all records for employees and/or clients
* Displays a responsive and professional manner in promptly responding to all requests, complaints, and problems.
* Recognizes that each employee is a representative of the Fond du Lac Band of Lake Superior Chippewa and is responsible for demonstrating courtesy, respect, and sensitivity to the needs of all others, including visitors and co-workers.
* Represents the Fond du Lac Band of Lake Superior Chippewa and the department in a positive and professional manner in the community.
* Required to maintain proper attendance including reporting to work on time in accordance with applicable policies.
* Maintains a clean and organized work area.
* Due to changes and modifications in the job from time to time, employees are required to be flexible and assume other responsibilities assigned by management as deemed necessary.
* Current principals' license is required; if not licensed at the time of hire employee must be actively enrolled in an accredited program to obtain administrative licensing; they must receive licensing within 3 years of hire. Employment is contingent upon this requirement and must be kept current for the duration of employment.
* Three years teaching experience is required.
* Knowledge of computer applications to include word processing, data bases and/or data entry, spreadsheets and Microsoft Outlook is required.
* Has experience working with American Indian families or communities is required.
* Ability to use technology effectively for data-collection, writing reports, communication, scheduling, trainings, and other activities as deemed necessary is required.
* Ability to communicate effectively orally and in writing is required.
* Ability to work independently and establish priorities is required.
* Attention to detail and accuracy is required.
* Ability to establish professional and harmonious working relationships on all projects and with all parties involved.
* Subject to drug and alcohol testing in accordance with the Fond du Lac Reservation's Personnel Policies.
* Subject to pre-employment and annual background checks.
* Some travel may be required.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS: Normal physical requirements
NATIVE AMERICAN PREFERENCE
PLEASE INCLUDE WITH APPLICATION YOUR CREDENTIALS AND RESUME
Apply to: Fond du Lac Human Resources
1720 Big Lake Road
Cloquet, MN 55720
Apply online at www.fdlrez.com (or click on the ''apply'' button)