Location: Mayfield Heights - Ohio
Location: Milwaukee - Wisconsin
Responsible for hardware and firmware product development for core Rockwell Automation control system product lines. These core product lines might involve Programmable Automation, Communications, I/O systems or Industrial Automation Software. These are industry-leading industrial automation products that have won numerous awards.
In this position, you will architect new platforms and products, participating in the full development lifecycle. Development is performed in a team environment utilizing sound hardware engineering and Agile software development practices and technology, and typically involves highly complex system design or product architecture design. Responsibilities include collaborating with and influencing multiple cross-functional teams, as well as possible technical leadership of a large development team or leading technical aspects of a multi-team project. This position is part of a job family. Experience will be the determining factor.
- Participates in or drives negotiations on project objectives and requirements. Writes requirements. Evaluates technology solutions. Provides cost/benefit recommendations.
- Contributes to or develops architectural designs and independently develops complex system designs that meet requirements. Provides skills needs and time estimation for the design. Considers tradeoffs between requirements, speed, cost and reliability in the choice of a design approach.
- Develops and designs hardware prototypes to evaluate features and capabilities. Develops and executes thorough unit test plans. Integrates with other components, solving highly complex system problems, to produce a final product. Responsibilities typically extend to the technical management of the design, testing and integration of other engineers' work in related areas.
- Leads or participates in reviews of documents, designs, code, test cases and user documentation.
- Does advance work, debugging, testing, and benchmarking FW/HW on a feature before a development team is in place.
- Keeps informed of new developments in the embedded systems engineering and computer engineering fields and disseminates appropriately through the organization. Identifies and participates in technical developmental training opportunities.
- Functions as a go-to person for hardware technology, firmware methodology, a functional area of industrial control or other area of expertise. Consults on or drives adoption across multiple teams.
- Researches, considers, and explores new possibilities utilizing the latest technologies and standards. May function as a go-to person for hardware technology, firmware methodology or other area of expertise.
- Function as a technical lead of a large development team or lead technical aspects of a multi-team project.
- Drives or contributes to capability improvement in the areas of hardware and firmware development practices and development tools.
- Clearly communicates and conveys design concepts, both verbally and written. Also able to learn and understand complex control system concepts.
- Effectively teams with others through mutually supportive professional relationships, open and direct communications, honesty and respect. Able to cope with and leverage stylistic differences and differences of opinion.
- BS in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Software Engineering, Electrical Engineering, or equivalent experience
- Legal authorization to work in the US is required. We will not sponsor individuals for employment visas, now or in the future, for this job opening
- Typically requires a minimum of 8- 12 years of experience in a hardware and firmware product development environment
- Proven application of appropriate software languages and technologies for the embedded space.
- Proven application of schematic entry, high-speed PCB design, signal integrity, and product delivery.
- Proven application of embedded firmware to complex multicore processors and SOC's.
- Significant experience with product certification/compliance and EMC design techniques
- Significant experience with embedded and/or Windows operating systems.
- Significant experience with ARM or Intel processors in the embedded market.
- Agile software development using Scrum/SAFe
- Demonstrated architecting modular software experience
- Previous technical team leadership
- Legal Authorization to work in the US is required. We will not sponsor individuals for employment visa, nor or in the future for this job opening
- Direct involvement with the Industrial Automation industry.
- Experience with embedded device security.
- Experience with multi-layer PCB design
- Experience with multiple contemporary embedded operating systems.
- Direct involvement with analog design techniques
- Experience with both local and global technical development team environments.
This position is part of a job family. Experience will be the determining factor.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer including disability and veterans.
If you are an individual with a disability and you need assistance or a reasonable accommodation during the application process, please contact our services team at +1 (see application details).