Teacher's Aide- Bilingual ( English/Spanish)
Requisition #: req4436
Location: Crofton, MD
Hours: Full-time (40 hours/week)
This position is offering a $1,500 sign-on bonus.
Bethany is changing the world through family. We began our work by serving one child more than 75 years ago. Today, Bethany is an international Christian nonprofit partnering with communities in more than 30 states and in several countries around the world. We strengthen and preserve families, support displaced people fleeing danger, and find safe, loving families for children who need them. Bethany is at the forefront of creating and implementing solutions to meet the growing needs of vulnerable children and families in the U.S. and around the world.
As a Teacher's Aide for Unaccompanied Children's programs, your main role is to assist the classroom teacher in the planning, organizing and implementation an appropriate instructional program in a preschool, elementary or secondary learning environment that guides and encourages students to develop and fulfill their academic potential.
Essential Job Responsibilities:
- Assist the classroom teacher in the planning, preparation and delivery of lesson plans and instructional materials that facilitate active learning.
- Assist the teacher with the delivery of lesson plans and tests that are in accordance with established procedures.
- Assist the teacher with the instruction and monitoring of students in the use of learning materials and equipment.
- Use relevant technology to support and differentiate instruction.
- Manage student behavior in the classroom by establishing and enforcing rules and procedures.
- Maintain discipline in accordance with the rules and disciplinary systems of the program.
- Provide appropriate feedback on work.
- Encourage and monitor the progress of individual students and use information to adjust teaching strategies.
- Maintain accurate and complete records of students' progress and development.
- Update all necessary records accurately and completely as required by ORR.
- Participate in school activities, Staff and Treatment Team meetings.
- Participate in field trips and provide supervision of children during field trips and in the classroom;
- Communicate necessary information regularly to Case Manager, Clinician, Foster Parents and the assign supervisor regarding student progress, concerns or needs.
- Establish and communicate clear objectives for all learning activities.
- Assist the teacher in the delivery of classroom activities.
- Provide a variety of learning materials and resources for use in educational activities.
- Observe and evaluate student's performance and development.
- Assist or lead preschool classroom if/when needed.
- Demonstrate preparation and skill in working with students from diverse cultural, economic and ability backgrounds.
- Demonstrate ability to be flexible, creative and able to work in a diverse setting.
- Promptly return phone calls and answer emails.
- Participate in appropriate professional activities.
- Maintain a reliable automobile with adequate insurance coverage.
- Other duties as assigned
- High School Diploma or equivalent;
- At least one (1) year of experience working in a similar role or with direct childcare;
- Must be CPR, First Aid, and AEC certified upon hire or within 60 days of hire;
- Bi-lingual in one or more of the following languages with English: Spanish
- Excellent verbal and written communication and interpersonal skills;
- Computer and typing skills sufficient to perform essential job functions;
- Must be willing and able to work days, evenings, and weekends, as needed;
- Must have a high level of patience with immense love and compassion for young children;
- Must have a familiarity with the nutritional and hygiene needs of children;
- Must have an in-depth understanding on a child's need for social, physical and intellectual growth;
- Demonstrate an ability to be flexible, and creative in a diverse setting;
- Must have knowledge of state, community and agency resources;
- Active motor vehicle license;
- Maintain a reliable automobile with adequate insurance coverage;
- Must be at least 21 years of age to operate a vehicle on behalf of the agency; and 3 years driving experience
- Pass a criminal history screen, including state and local child protection agency registries;
- Subscription to and integration of the agency Statement of Faith, Mission Statement, and Cultural Diversity Commitment.
We value and embrace the principles of diversity, equity, and inclusion; our culture is strengthened and our workplace is more dynamic. We are a global organization with multicultural staff, clients and stakeholders, so we strive to create a workplace that reflects the communities we serve and where everyone feels empowered to bring their full, authentic selves to work. More work remains, but we are deeply committed to honestly acknowledging and addressing the impacts of race and racism throughout the organization. This work can be uncomfortable and even painful, but we believe that the greatest challenges bear the greatest rewards.