Tuesday, April 27, 2021
Inc. (NYSE: GCI) is a subscription-led and digitally focused media and
marketing solutions company committed to empowering communities to thrive. With
an unmatched reach at the national and local level, Gannett touches the lives
of millions with our Pulitzer-Prize winning content, consumer experiences and
benefits, and advertiser products and services.
Our current portfolio of media
assets includes USA TODAY, local media organizations in 46 states in the U.S.,
and Newsquest, a wholly owned subsidiary operating in the United Kingdom with
more than 120 local news media brands. Gannett also owns the digital marketing
services companies ReachLocal, Inc., UpCurve, Inc., and WordStream, Inc., which
are marketed under the LOCALiQ brand, and runs the largest media-owned events
business in the U.S., USA TODAY NETWORK Ventures.
To connect with us, visit www.gannett.com.
Digital Marketing and Events Specialist
Detroit, MI, USA
Detroit Free Press Marathon
The Detroit Free Press Marathon is Michigans largest road running race and the only race to cross international borders twice. Now in its 44th year, the annual event is held the third Sunday of October and over 25,000 runners participate each year. The event consists of a two-day Health & Fitness Expo and races of varying distances including a full marathon, two half marathons, marathon team relay, 5K, 1-Mile and a Kids Fun Run. The Detroit Marathon has won numerous awards for organization, best marathon and half marathon and best race medal and swag.
The Digital Marketing and Events Specialist works to promote, plan and organize the Detroit Free Press Marathon and its ancillary events. The ideal candidate is digital-savvy, thrives in a fast -paced, ever changing environment, handles multiple projects at once, is organized and loves a challenge. You will get to work on Michigans largest running event and one of the top road races in the United States.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- The Digital Marketing and Events Specialist will work to promote and grow the Detroit Free Press Marathon and its ancillary events. In addition, will assist in planning and executing the event. This includes working on strategies to promote the event, logistics, working with sponsors and assisting participants.
- Manage the social media presence of the event including posting organic content and engaging with audiences on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and expanding our presence on TikTok. Oversee paid digital marketing efforts on social media and search marketing, including but not limited to paid campaigns on Google Adwords, Facebook ads and more.
- Responsible for managing and updating the Detroit Free Press Marathon website (Freepmarathon.com), including but not limited to creating blog content, updating current pages, adding sponsorship content.
- Responsible for Runner Relations Support through Zendesk. This includes answering questions via phone, email or social media. Develop FAQs and standard answers for commonly asked questions.
- Acts as Volunteer Services Director for the Detroit Free Press Marathon managing the volunteer platform, recruiting volunteers and communicating with area directors on their volunteer needs.
- Create and send marketing emails through ExactTarget, using a template and editing through HTML.
- Manage the annual Ambassador Program. This includes promotion and selection of each ambassador class, organizing campaigns for their participation and their schedules.
- Solicit participants for the Runner of the Week program and promote them on social channels and work with the newsroom to create an article about the runner of the week.
- Manage the marketing aspect of the event which includes ensuring print and digital ads are placed and run (working with marketing coordinator), researching other running expos, print and digital publications and make recommendations to attend/buy.
Bachelor's degree. At least 2- 3 years experience in digital marketing, event planning or related field. Prefer experience of social media (including paid social), Wordpress, customer service, marketing campaign development, event marketing, and sports-related event planning. Excellent verbal and writing skills. Key leadership competencies include ability to: demonstrate professional interpersonal skills with internal and external customers, maintain confidentiality of company information, prepare reports accurately and within time deadlines, ability to coordinate several tasks simultaneously within a fast-paced environment, excellent organizational skills, professional presentation and/or facilitation skills.
Michigan.com, PART OF THE USA TODAY NETWORK, is Michigans largest media marketing company. We deliver the trusted brands the Detroit Free Press and The Detroit News - to Michigans largest audience. And we produce award-winning events, including the Detroit Free Press Marathon, The Freep Film Festival, the Detroit Free Press Top Workplaces, Dish & Design, and the Detroit Free Press/Metro Detroit Chevy Dealers Top 10 Takeover.
About USA TODAY NETWORK:
The USA TODAY NETWORK is the largest local to national media network in the country. Powered by integrated and award-winning news organizations with deep roots in 92 local communities, plus USA TODAY, the multi-platform news network informs and engages more than 100 million people every month through its diverse portfolio of digital, mobile, and publishing products. To connect with us, visit http://www.gannett.com/
Gannett Co., Inc.is a proud equal opportunity employer. We are a drug free, EEO employer committed to a diverse workforce. We will consider all qualified candidates regardless of race, color, national origin, sex, age, marital status, personal appearance, sexual orientation, gender identity, family responsibilities, disability, education, political affiliation, or veteran status.