Senior Environmental Analyst - Carbon Early Engagement Engineer
Santa Clara Valley (Cupertino) , California , United States
Posted: Apr 27, 2021
Weekly Hours: 40
Role Number: 200241045
At Apple, new ideas have a way of becoming extraordinary products, services, and customer experiences very quickly. Bring passion and dedication to your job and there's no telling what you could accomplish. Imagine what you could do here! Apple's Environmental Technologies team is seeking a candidate to help us design world-leading products with lower environmental impacts. We use a combination of detailed measurements, comprehensive modeling, and targeted engagements with design teams to drive strategic and relevant environmental initiatives. Our methods are rooted in life cycle assessment (LCA) and material flow analysis (MFA), but cover a range of fields within science, technology, and engineering. We are determined to uncover where impacts occur within our products and product supply chains, identify opportunities to mitigate those impacts, and drive initiatives to reduce those impacts. Are you passionate about reducing environmental impacts through innovative designs?
- Expertise with life cycle assessment methods, modeling approaches, data, and applications like GaBi, SimaPro, and/or ecoinvent is preferred.
- Experience developing parameterized process-based models for engineering and/or manufacturing processes; knowledge of electronic component production (semiconductors, printed circuit boards, etc.), raw material production (aluminum, steel, plastics, etc.), mechanical part production (machining, stamping, injection molding, etc.) and/or industrial engineering is preferred
- Ability to evaluate environmental impacts of novel materials and technologies using limited and/or imperfect data, including quantification of uncertainties.
- Familiarity with environmental indicators and impacts, particularly with respect to carbon, water, energy, and resources
- Scientific computing skills, including data analysis, visualization, and working with large datasets. Programming experience with Python, R, or similar is preferred.
- As a member of our team, you'll work on practical design and policy problems to support various environmental initiatives, by working closely with a range of engineering and operations teams on a large variety of problems. - Most projects will include gathering, developing, and integrating data, generating environmental models of material production and manufacturing processes, using these data and models to develop environmental guidance, and sharing your findings through powerful visualizations. - You should be comfortable presenting to and working with both technical and non-technical teams. - You are self-motivated, enthusiastic, and detail oriented person with excellent at written and verbal communication skills.
Education & Experience
- BS degree required; MS and PhD degrees welcome; engineering background strongly preferred.