Tuesday, April 27, 2021
Inc. (NYSE: GCI) is a subscription-led and digitally focused media and
marketing solutions company committed to empowering communities to thrive. With
an unmatched reach at the national and local level, Gannett touches the lives
of millions with our Pulitzer-Prize winning content, consumer experiences and
benefits, and advertiser products and services.
Our current portfolio of media
assets includes USA TODAY, local media organizations in 46 states in the U.S.,
and Newsquest, a wholly owned subsidiary operating in the United Kingdom with
more than 120 local news media brands. Gannett also owns the digital marketing
services companies ReachLocal, Inc., UpCurve, Inc., and WordStream, Inc., which
are marketed under the LOCALiQ brand, and runs the largest media-owned events
business in the U.S., USA TODAY NETWORK Ventures.
To connect with us, visit www.gannett.com.
The Herald in Ottawa, Kansas, seeks a do-it-all reporter to cover news and features for a city of 12,000 people along the Marais des Cygnes River and the surrounding region. Ottawa is about 30 miles from Lawrence, 50 miles from Topeka and 55 miles from Kansas City, Kan.
This reporter is expected to consistently break exclusive news. He or she will identify, produce and post stories, photos and video quickly and accurately across platforms, including social media.
Source development is critical to this position. This reporter will cultivate relationships with city and county officials, business leaders and community stakeholders to break stories.
This is an ideal job for a reporter at a small daily or weekly whos looking to move up or a college graduate with significant internship experience. Reporters for the Herald work closely with the other USA TODAY Network newspapers in Kansas especially Topeka, but also Leavenworth and Pittsburg and have the opportunity to gain publication in those newspapers and others, as well as to participate in training with the other staffs.
In this role, you will:
- Research, report and produce compelling content that continuously grows a fan base by informing and engaging readers.
- Act as a public ambassador through community outreach and connect with readers through social media.
- Use live video to spotlight breaking news and high-interest events.
- Provide thoughtful analysis of complex issues. Produce watchdog journalism that leads to change.
- Use real-time metrics to respond to user demand and reader interest.
- Work with coaches to shape storytelling to meet audience needs and interests tailored to appropriate platforms.
- Contribute to the communitys greater good through impactful journalism.
Here's what you need:
- Bachelor's degree.
- At least a year of professional journalism experience or significant internship experience.
- High-level writing, communication and time management skills.
- Demonstrated ability to work well on deadline.
- A valid drivers license and reliable transportation.
Please upload a single file that includes:
Your updated current resume one to two pages.
A cover letter that outlines your interest in this role and how you would approach the job.
Links to 5-10 online samples of your work. Show us what youve produced or had a hand in that best reflects what you can do.
Gannett Co., Inc.is a proud equal opportunity employer. We are a drug free, EEO employer committed to a diverse workforce. We will consider all qualified candidates regardless of race, color, national origin, sex, age, marital status, personal appearance, sexual orientation, gender identity, family responsibilities, disability, education, political affiliation, or veteran status.