Flash Storage Engineer
Austin , Texas , United States
Software and Services
Posted: Apr 28, 2021
Role Number: 200242171
Imagine what you could do here. At Apple, new ideas have a way of becoming extraordinary products, services, and customer experiences very quickly. Bring passion and dedication to your job and there's no telling what you could accomplish. Multifaceted, intellectual and inspiring, people innovative technologies are the norm here. The people who work here have reinvented entire industries with all Apple products & services. The same real passion for innovation that goes into our products also applies to our practices strengthening our dedication to leave the world better than we found it. Join us to help deliver the next groundbreaking Apple product!
- Define and drive SSD disk technology roadmap, communicate NAND roadmap to internal technical and management teams, and handle component vendors to meet spec and schedule requirements
- Responsible for handling SSD suppliers, collaborating on future designs, validations and reliability improvements
- Responsible for Flash Storage component validation; analyzing and tracing various benchmarks, reliability testing, workload characterization, competitive analysis on various storage subsystems, identifying bottlenecks and proposing feedback and solutions for performance improvement.
- Support internal engineering teams in debugging flash-storage related problems, failure analysis and defining corrective actions
- Key Qualifications:
- Good knowledge of SSD architecture and technologies, with respect to:
- SSD Controller (Perf, Power, Thermal, NVMe protocol, PCIe architecture, etc.)
- Embedded NAND (differences between NAND technologies, the trade offs)
- FTL firmware (media management & performance optimization)
- Good understanding of management interfaces I2C, SPI, SGPIO, NVMe MI/MII, etc.
- Professional in Flash Validation
- Reading datasheets & specifications
- Setting up lab systems & components
- Benchmarking tools and performance profiling
- Fixing & debugging failures
- Optimizing for power, performance, reliability and cost
- Compiling & Communicating detailed validation results & feedback internally & externally
- Passionate for encouraging team work
- Seeing projects through to completion
- Meeting deadlines
- Interacting with a wide diversity of internal customers
- Detailed documentation of diverse contributions, specifications, etc.
- Key Skills:
- Detailed understanding of state-of-the-art tools used to validate, profile, and debug storage subsystem performance, such as: FIO, Shell, Python, Smartctl, Test Automation frameworks, SSD Diagnostics tools, etc.
- Hands-on experience with:
- Linux operating system; performance profiling, utilization, and debugging
- Performance benchmarking tools such as FIO
- Python, Shell or other scripting languages
- In-depth knowledge of reviewing Vt sweeps and NAND telemetry
- Understanding of front end protocols such as PCIe, SATA, etc. Able to read protocol analyzer traces.
- Experience with data analytics such as Splunk or Tableau is recommended.
- Experienced in exploring opportunities to improve server storage performance through hardware, kernel & software co-optimization (Cassandra DB, Foundation DB, etc.).
In your role as a Flash Storage Engineer, you will be a key member of our Hardware Storage Engineering team under the Infrastructure Services org, which builds the bedrock for many Apple Cloud services & products. You will have an outstanding and exciting opportunity to help define Apple's cloud storage solutions for our current line of extraordinary services as well as have direct technical impact on what our future cloud infrastructure capabilities will be. This is an extraordinary opportunity to showcase your skills in flash storage architecture and in component, validation, and system engineering. In this role, you will use your career success and technical depth to handle external suppliers, and driving items to closure across large multi-functional teams including Server Design team, software teams, SRE, DC ops, as well as Supply Chain. At Apple, we hire champions for innovative, quality and best-in-class products!
Education & Experience
BS in CS, EE, CE or any related field. MS is helpful 3+ years Hardware Validation, 5+ years in Flash Storage technologies including SSDs