Thursday, April 29, 2021
Inc. (NYSE: GCI) is a subscription-led and digitally focused media and
marketing solutions company committed to empowering communities to thrive. With
an unmatched reach at the national and local level, Gannett touches the lives
of millions with our Pulitzer-Prize winning content, consumer experiences and
benefits, and advertiser products and services.
Our current portfolio of media
assets includes USA TODAY, local media organizations in 46 states in the U.S.,
and Newsquest, a wholly owned subsidiary operating in the United Kingdom with
more than 120 local news media brands. Gannett also owns the digital marketing
services companies ReachLocal, Inc., UpCurve, Inc., and WordStream, Inc., which
are marketed under the LOCALiQ brand, and runs the largest media-owned events
business in the U.S., USA TODAY NETWORK Ventures.
To connect with us, visit www.gannett.com.
The Arizona Republic/azcentral.com, the largest newsroom in Arizona, winner of the Pulitzer Prize and part of the USA TODAY NETWORK, is seeking an experienced, motivated, aggressive investigative reporter to break news and shake things up across the Southwest.
The Republic, in addition to winning the Pulitzer for explanatory reporting on the border wall in 2017, is a two-time Pulitzer finalist for breaking news. In recent years, it has been honored with Polk, SPJ, Headliner, Eppy, Murrow, Goldsmith and other awards. This job sits at the heart of our prize-winning team.
The scope of the job is as wide as you want to make it. You'll have a focus on Arizona with an eye for national impact. The ideal candidate will have solid experience covering state or federal agencies, handling FOIA and public-records reporting, and identifying unique and untold stories of wrongdoing that can be made right.
The distinguishing feature of the job is the responsibility to write masterfully about investigative work. The ideal candidate will have a clip file that includes straight investigative stories, insightful and critical newsmaker profiles, narratives spun off breaking news or other events, and at least a few examples of investigative narrative -- watchdog work written as storytelling.
You'll work with The Arizona Republic's investigative team and alongside our data team. Our work effects change in our community, state and nation.
The Republic is part of the USA Today Network, the largest team of journalists in the United States. In this job, expect to work on quick-turn investigations, occasional breaking news and serious, long-term, heavy-duty projects. In each realm, this job gives you the opportunity to elevate your best work to national attention.
- Creates storytelling that accurately informs, entertains and engages specific audiences and platforms through the use of metrics. Works toward becoming the communitys leading voice in area of expertise.
- Connects with the community through storytelling and outreach (social media, on camera, forums, community leadership, etc.) Provides thoughtful analysis of complex issues.
- Works with content strategist and audience analyst to evaluate what's working and what's not and develops ongoing plans to better satisfy audience needs.
- Collaborates with content team to provide all appropriate elements for stories (i.e. photos, videos and graphics). Captures basic photos and video as needed.
- Promotes personal brand, the brands of colleagues and the institutional brand.
- Provides great customer service, helping readers find answers and solutions.
- Performs other duties as necessary.
- Explores and reports on the widest range of news and trends, connecting with our audiences passion.
- Content strategies include print, branded digital platforms, traditional and emerging social media, events, apps and curation of contributed and expert content.
- Places a high priority on data analysis to identify trends that would otherwise go unreported.
- Strategizes and executes distribution and optimization plans for all content.
- Demonstrates clear concise writing skills with strong nut graphs and why this is important to me content.
- Requires outstanding research skills and extensive contacts that can break news.
- Requires the ability to create trust within their niche community. The primary channel will be our digital products first, but the content will also make its way into printed publications.
- Identifies, cultivates and curates contributed, authoritative content and reporting that expands the footprint of the beat.
- Bachelor's or masters in communications, journalism or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Minimum of 3 years reporting/newsroom experience.
- Strong command of AP grammar and style.
- Strong copy-editing skills and the ability to produce content that is clean, accurate and "publication ready."
- Is passionate and enthusiastic about news and content that will work well with audiences on social platforms.
- Is comfortable using social media such as Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and Snapchat to enhance reporting and promote stories.
- Understands reporting ethics and sourcing.
- Excels in a fast-paced news environment and understands the digital first mission.
- Collaborates well with others and can work with a team on the biggest stories.
- Must be willing to travel on short notice, to cover breaking news events.
- Work weekends and nights as needed by the news cycle.
- This role requires a valid drivers license, reliable transportation, and the minimum liability insurance required by state law.
- Employment is contingent on passing a post-offer pre-employment background check and a motor vehicle record check & drug screen (for driving roles only).
We are eager to learn more about you and how you fit this role. When you apply, dont limit your upload to a resume; show us what youve done. To do so, put together a single document file that includes the following, in this order:
- Your resume one to two pages.
- A cover letter that outlines how you would approach the job.
- Links to 3-6 online samples of your work. Show us what youve produced or had a hand in that best reflects what you can do in your desired role.
It is important that these items be assembled into a single document and uploaded in PDF format. Completing these steps will ensure that your application receives the highest consideration.
Gannett Co., Inc.is a proud equal opportunity employer. We are a drug free, EEO employer committed to a diverse workforce. We will consider all qualified candidates regardless of race, color, national origin, sex, age, marital status, personal appearance, sexual orientation, gender identity, family responsibilities, disability, education, political affiliation, or veteran status.