Teacher Aide - Bilingual (English/Spanish)
Requisition #: req4471
Location: Muskegon, MI
Hours: Full-time, 40 hours weekly
*** This position is offering a $1500 Sign-on Bonus ***
Bethany is changing the world through family. We began our work by serving one child more than 75 years ago. Today, Bethany is an international Christian nonprofit partnering with communities in more than 30 states and in several countries around the world. We strengthen and preserve families, support displaced people fleeing danger, and find safe, loving families for children who need them. Bethany is at the forefront of creating and implementing solutions to meet the growing needs of vulnerable children and families in the U.S. and around the world.
The UC TFC Teacher Aide is primarily responsible for assisting the classroom teacher in the planning, organizing, and implementation of the instructional program in a preschool, elementary, or secondary learning environment. This individual must function in a manner that guides and encourages students to develop and fulfill their academic potential.
This position is expected to function effectively with moderate supervision while following the guidelines given on procedures, along with agency, federal, and state regulatory requirements.
Essential Job Responsibilities:
- Assist in the planning, preparation, and delivery of lesson plans and instructional materials that facilitate active learning;
- Assist with the delivery of lesson plans and tests that are in accordance with established procedures;
- Assist with the instruction and monitoring of students in the use of learning materials and equipment;
- Effectively use relevant technology to support and differentiate instruction;
- Effectively manage student behavior in the classroom by establishing and enforcing rules and procedures;
- Maintain discipline in accordance with the rules and disciplinary systems of the program;
- Provide student's the appropriate feedback on work;
- Encourage and monitor the progress of individual students and use information to adjust teaching strategies;
- Maintain accurate and complete records of students' progress and development;
- Update all necessary records accurately and completely in alignment with ORR requirements;
- Participate in school activities, as well as staff and treatment team meetings;
- Supervise children during field trips and in the classroom;
- Communicate necessary information regularly to Case Manager(s), Clinician, foster parents and the assigned supervisor regarding student progress, concerns, or needs;
- Establish and communicate clear objectives for all learning activities;
- Assist the teacher in the delivery of classroom activities;
- Provide a variety of learning materials and resources for use in educational activities;
- Assist or lead preschool classroom if necessary;
- Serve as a backup to the teacher and provide instruction to students;
- Assist the teacher with creating lesson plans and classroom curriculum;
- Attend internal and external trainings, and apply newly gained knowledge on the job;
- Complete other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor's level degree in Education from an accredited college, or some college coursework in Educational Instruction;
- Bilingual: English and Spanish;
- Prior work experience teaching ELL/ESL, preferred;
- Demonstrated cross-cultural sensitivity, preferred;
- Must possess an ability to communicate effectively orally and in writing in Spanish and English with strong interpersonal skills;
- Must be able to establish and maintain cooperative and effective working relationships with others;
- Must be able to report to work on a regular and punctual basis;
- Demonstrate preparation and skill in working with students from diverse cultural, economic and ability backgrounds;
- Must be CPR, First Aid, and AEC certified upon hire or within 60 days of hire;
- Must be flexible and creative in a diverse work setting;
- Excellent attention to detail and highly organized;
- Highly motivated and self-managed;
- Computer and typing skills sufficient to perform essential job functions;
- Active motor vehicle license and a reliable automobile with adequate insurance coverage;
- Pass a criminal history screen, including state and local child protection agency registries;
- Subscription to and integration of the agency Statement of Faith, Mission Statement, and Cultural Diversity Commitment.
We value and embrace the principles of diversity, equity, and inclusion; our culture is strengthened and our workplace is more dynamic. We are a global organization with multicultural staff, clients and stakeholders, so we strive to create a workplace that reflects the communities we serve and where everyone feels empowered to bring their full, authentic selves to work. More work remains, but we are deeply committed to honestly acknowledging and addressing the impacts of race and racism throughout the organization. This work can be uncomfortable and even painful, but we believe that the greatest challenges bear the greatest rewards.