$87,339.20 - $133,390.40 Annually
Arlington *METRO-accessible*, VA
Arlington Economic Development
5/20/2021 11:59 PM Eastern
Salary listed above is the salary range effective July 1, 2021.
The Arlington Economic Development (AED) Department is seeking an experienced, proactive and strategic Assistant Director, Business Intelligence . The Business Investment Group (BIG) is a fast-paced, results-oriented team focused on strategically marketing Arlington County to businesses and site selectors nationally and internationally as an optimum investment location.
This is a unique opportunity to be part of a talented group of economic development professionals in an innovative community. The Assistant Director, Business Intelligence will have four (4) direct reports and report to the BIG Director. The Business Intelligence team carries out the functions of economic research and analysis, community demographics, marketing, managing customer relationship management (CRM) database and grants management, and other strategic initiatives required to support the business development and investment goals of BIG.
Major duties of this position include:
- Managing the business intelligence support for BIG's business attraction and retention activities which includes setting fiscal year workplans and managing team resources (budget and staff) to meet BIG priorities and performance goals;
- Supervising a team of four (4) economic development professionals in the areas of market research/analysis, CRM, marketing and other strategic initiatives to ensure team and individual performance goals are being met, including professional development opportunities;
- Developing deliverables in support of business investment priorities including, preparation of project proposals and incentive packages in coordination with local and state staff;
- Preparing compelling marketing collateral, annual reports and budget presentations for leadership;
- Creating customized materials that convey Arlington's business case in response to business development managers' requests for company and industry presentations, and materials for lead generation activities;
- Overseeing the collection of relevant data, research, analysis, and recommendations on a range of economic, real estate and policy issues that impact business investments in Arlington including insights on target sectors, specific companies and Arlington's competitiveness relative to competition;
- Overseeing management of AED's financial incentive portfolio from start to finish including advising business investment staff on the data, analysis, and data visualizations that are available or could be created to best market Arlington;
- Developing processes, templates and timelines for the business development team to follow when drafting performance agreements and seeking necessary internal approvals including monitoring, evaluation and performance reporting;
- Developing and maintaining relationships with internal County departments (County Attorney's Office, Department of Management and Finance, Commissioner of Revenue) and external partners in the real estate, economic development and academic communities;
- Representing BIG and AED in various internal and external forums as needed (County leadership, Chamber of Commerce, VEDP, VEDA, NAIOP, NOVA EDA);
- Performing other duties as assigned.
The ideal candidate will have a proven track record in the following areas ;
- Managing a business intelligence or research team;
- Extensive experience with CRM database (preferably Salesforce), GIS or other business intelligence software/databases;
- Developing and implementing best practices when it comes to analytics, data visualization, marketing, business process protocols and performance monitoring;
- Complex project management with internal and external stakeholders;
- Leading complex research projects, including in the areas of demographic analysis, economic and market analysis, or industry clusters.
- Bachelor's degree in Economics, Finance, Statistics, Business Administration, Real Estate, or closely related field,
- Three (3) years of senior level experience in business development, real estate development or economic development, including marketing, budget, and sales.
Substitution: Additional qualifying experience can be substituted for the education requirement on a year-for-year basis.
Desirables: Preference may also be given to candidates with a Master's degree in related field and experience in one or more of the following areas:
- Coordinating or supervising a business intelligence/marketing team;
- Project management and/or process experience;
- Managing daily operations of business support functions;
- Extensive experience with Salesforce or similar CRM; and
- Public speaking/presentation experience.
Please attach a resume to the application. Please attach a cover letter or supplemental question response that describes why you are interested in the position and your experience and accomplishments in the following areas;
- Program management and supervision of a business intelligence/research team in local government, economic development and/or related field; and
- Leveraging analytical tools and methodologies to develop business insights, marketing content and/or policy recommendations.
A pre-employment criminal records check will be conducted. It may include checks of the following: criminal record, driving record, education, professional licensure, and credit history. You may be required to sign a release authorizing the County to obtain your background information.
Applicant must possess, or obtain by time of appointment, a valid driver license. The applicant must authorize Arlington County to obtain, or the applicant must provide, a copy of the applicant's official state/district driving record. Any offer of employment may be contingent upon a favorable review of the applicant's driving record.
Employee must be able to travel and attend local, state and national events even if outside normal working hours.
Work Hours: 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., Monday through Friday. Some travel will be required (not during COVID).
The official job title is Business Intelligence Section Manager.
Each section of the application must be completed. A resume must be attached; however, it will not substitute for the completed application. Incomplete applications will be rejected.
Arlington County Government employee benefits depend on whether a position is permanent, the number of hours worked, and the number of months the position is scheduled.
Specific information on benefits and conditions of employment can be found on the Arlington County Human Resources Department website: (see application details)
Permanent, Full-Time Appointments
All jobs are permanent, full-time appointments unless otherwise stated in the announcement. The following benefits are available:
Paid Leave : Vacation leave is earned at the rate of four hours biweekly. Leave accrual increases every three years until eight hours of leave are earned biweekly for twelve or more years of service. Sick leave is earned at the rate of four hours biweekly. There are eleven paid holidays each year.
Health and Dental Insurance : Three group health insurance plans are offered - a network open access plan, a point-of-service plan, and a health maintenance organization. A group dental insurance plan is also offered. The County pays a significant portion of the premium for these plans for employees and their dependents. A discount vision plan is provided for eye care needs.
Life Insurance : A group term policy of basic life insurance is provided at no cost to employees. The benefit is one times annual salary. Additional life insurance is available with rates based on the employee's age and smoker/non-smoker status.
Retirement : The County offers three vehicles to help you prepare for retirement: a defined benefit plan, a defined contribution plan (401(a)), and a deferred compensation plan (457). The defined benefit plan provides a monthly retirement benefit based on your final average salary and years of service with the County. You contribute a portion of your salary on a pre-tax basis to this plan. General employees contribute 4% of pay; uniformed public safety employees contribute 7.5% of pay. Employees become vested in the plan at five years of service. The County also contributes to this plan.
For general employees, the County also contributes 4.2% of pay to a defined contribution plan (401(a)) . The County also matches your 457 contribution, up to $20 per pay period, in this plan. The 457 deferred compensation plan allows you to set aside money on either a pre-tax (457b) or post-tax (457 Roth) basis up to the IRS annual limit. New employees are automatically enrolled with a pre-tax contribution equal to 2% of your base pay.
Other Benefits: The County also offers health, dependent care, and parking flexible spending accounts; long-term care insurance; tuition assistance; transit and walk/bike to work subsidies; a college savings plan; wellness programs; training opportunities; and a variety of other employee benefits.
Permanent, Part-Time Appointments:
Part time employees who work ten or more hours per week receive paid leave and benefits in proportion to the number of hours worked per week.
Limited Term Appointments:
Benefits are the same as permanent appointments except that the employees do not achieve permanent status.
Temporary Regular Appointments:
Temporary regular employees who work 30 hours or more per week are eligible for health, dental, and basic life insurance as described above. They are also eligible for vacation, sick leave, and paid holidays.
Temporary Seasonal and Occasional Appointments:
Temporary employees who work on a seasonal basis or variable hours receive sick leave, but do not normally receive other paid leave or benefits. Exceptions are noted in individual announcements.