This recruitment's earning are limited to an amount not to exceed earning limitation set by the Nevada Public Employee's Retirement System (PERS). This allows for Nevada PERS retirees to also apply without affecting their current retirement benefits.
Plans, organizes, administers, coordinates, communicates, and directs the development and implementation of a County-wide emergency planning and response program in accordance with NRS 414.090; coordinates the activities of County departments, other local jurisdictions and governmental and private agencies in both planning for and responding to major emergencies and/or disasters; administers mitigation and recovery activities; serves as the county's liaison to state and federal emergency management programs; administers grant application, award and funding programs.
This class, functioning under the auspices of the County Manager's Office, has County-wide responsibility and authority to develop an emergency response plan and ensure that the plans are effectively executed in the event of a major emergency or disaster. This class is distinguished from other management support and coordinative classes in that the duties related specifically to the specialty of emergency management. This position is appointed by the Board of Commissioners, at-will, and serves at the pleasure of the County Manager.
Supervision Exercised and Received:
Exercises direction over professional and support staff assigned to the Emergency Management Program. Subject to the direction of the County Manager or Assistant County Manager or both.
Examples of Duties
(Performance of these functions is the reason the job exists. Assigned job tasks/duties are not limited to the essential functions).
- Plans, develops, administers, implements, evaluates, and modifies a comprehensive, County-wide emergency response, communications and management program for the County.
- Develops and implements goals, objectives, policies, procedures and work standards for the emergency management program; prepares and administers the program's budget.
- Plans, organizes, assigns, supervises, reviews and evaluates the work of professional and technical support staff.
- Recommends selection of staff; trains staff and provides for their professional development; administers discipline as required.
- Confers with and coordinates activities with County departments and other public agencies to establish and implement a program of emergency preparedness and emergency response; maintains liaison to ensure preparedness, availability of equipment and supplies and readiness of staff and facilities.
- Coordinates activities and the preparation of funding applications, audits, reports and other documentation required for federal and other funding sources.
- Develops, coordinates, oversees, reviews and evaluates emergency management training programs, including simulated emergency situations having the participation of various public agencies within the County.
- Oversees the development of plans to ensure that vital public services such as utilities, public safety, communications and similar services are maintained and/or restored during and after an emergency.
- Oversees the mitigation and recovery functions related to the emergency management program for the County.
- Staffs and/or directs the staffing and operations of the emergency command center during a disaster or emergency.
- Represents the Program, explaining policies and goals to the public, elected officials, and other government agencies; represents the Board of County Commissioners and County Manager on all matters pertaining to the program.
- Contributes to the overall quality of the program's service provision by developing and coordinating work teams and by reviewing, recommending, and implementing improved policies and procedures.
- Coordinates media relations plans, procedures, and exercises to prepare for emergencies; serves as spokesperson and primary resource for Humboldt County information for emergencies; Responds orally and in writing in a timely manner; creates materials to promote and publicize internal and/or community relations, by creating and distributing newsletters, brochures, fact sheets, social media posts, special feature stories and video tape recordings for the community or media representatives.
- Develops exhibits, displays and materials for promoting programs at community events and fairs to maintain public awareness of program issues and concerns manner, to a variety of inquiries from staff, the media or the public, providing information or directing questions to appropriate staff to promote good public/media relations and create cooperative working relationships.
- May suspend licensing requirements for persons whose services are required to implement emergency plans.
- May drive a motor vehicle or arrange for transportation to attend off-site meetings, visit various work locations, and respond to emergencies.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities: (KSAs are the attributes required to perform a job; generally demonstrated through qualifying experience, education, or training.)
- Principles and practices of developing and administering an effective, major emergency management program.
- Functions, resources, and limitations of various public and private organizations within the emergency management area.
- Administrative principles and practices, including goal setting, program development, implementation and evaluation, and the supervision of employees.
- Principles and practices of developing teams, motivating employees, and managing in a team environment.
- Principles and practices of budget development and administration.
- Federal, state and local laws related to the development and implementation of emergency preparedness and response plans.
- Computer applications related to the work. Office administrative practices and procedures.
- Safety principles, practices and equipment related to the work.
- Techniques for dealing with a variety of individuals from various socio-economic, ethnic and cultural backgrounds.
- Principles and techniques of making effective oral presentations.
- Principles and techniques of preparing effective written informational or educational materials.
- Developing and implementing effective emergency response programs; planning, organizing, supervising, reviewing and evaluating the work of others;
- Developing and implementing goals, objectives, policies, procedures and work standards;
- Developing effective work teams and motivating individuals to meet goals and objectives and provide customer services in the most cost effective and efficient manner;
- Interpreting, applying and explaining applicable laws, codes and regulations; preparing clear and concise reports, policies, procedures, correspondence and other written materials;
- Maintaining accurate records and files related to the work of the program;
- Using initiative and independent judgment within general policy guidelines and in emergency situations;
- Establishing and maintaining effective working relationships with those contacted during the work;
- Representing the program and the county effectively in meetings with various departments and other public and private organizations.
- Supervise personnel, including training, assigning and reviewing work, administering discipline, and conducting
- performance evaluations.
- Plan, coordinate, and direct the operations of the Emergency Management to achieve established goals and maximize efficiency and effectiveness.
Experience and Training: Any combination of training, education and experience that would provide the required knowledge and abilities. A typical way to gain the required knowledge and ability is:
Possession of a bachelor’s degree in Emergency Management, or closely related field from an accredited college or university and two years of emergency management program experience or any combination of training and experience that would demonstrate the desired knowledge and abilities of the position.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement
Humboldt County, Nevada is an equal opportunity employer and provider in the services it offers.