CITY OF BREMERTON invites applications for the position of:
Office Assistant Senior
SALARY: $24.62 - $28.88 Hourly
OPENING DATE: 04/26/21
CLOSING DATE: 05/17/21 05:00 PM
GENERAL FUNCTION: The current vacant position will be supporting Equipment Services and working in the automotive shop at Public Works & Utilities. Future vacancies in this job classification may occur in other locations prior to the expiration of the hiring register.
Under minimal supervision, perform a variety of routine to complex secretarial duties requiring independent judgment and personal initiative on a daily basis requiring a high level of confidentiality and integrity. High percentage of job is accounting and/or bookkeeping related. Prepare department employee time worked data for payroll and maintain files and records. Duties involve independent judgment and personal initiative on a daily basis.
REPRESENTATIVE ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES: (Note – this list is intended only to illustrate the various types of work that may be performed. The omission of specific statements does not exclude them from the position.)
- Answer multi-line telephone system, route calls to appropriate staff, record and distribute messages.
- Receive and direct visitors, provide information, respond to inquiries and refer to appropriate staff.
- Check employee work logs for correctness of entered time and forward worksheets to Payroll.
- Check leave slips and overtime/comp certificates for signatures. Assure that leave time and overtime are entered correctly. When Payroll Journal is received from Payroll Department, verify that the time for each employee has been entered correctly. Maintain files containing timesheets, worksheets, and overtime/comp time certificates by pay period.
- Compose and write letters, memos, forms, and other material from verbal instructions or written instructions; compile and update information for monthly reports and oversee main office area.
- Establish and maintain complex manual or electronic file systems and/or database files.
- Keep reference material up-to-date (ex. BMC, departmental policies, Bremerton City policies & procedures, administrative policies, civil service postings, etc.)
- Compile and create material such as financial statements and technical and statistical reports requiring specialized knowledge and judgment.
- Transcribe oral or written dictation, as requested. Independently perform major clerical projects.
- Process, distribute, and organize all purchase orders, requisitions, claims, and bills associated with the Division by: Preparing purchase orders for proper approval and coding. Developing and maintaining records of expenditures. Tracking budget dollars of the division. Processing documents associated with implementing contract services; monitoring work progress and payments for contract. Compile, sort, match, organize, determine correctness, process and file daily vendor invoices for inventory.
- Coordinate and communicate with vendors regarding purchase orders and invoices.
- Coordinate training and travel arrangements for division personnel. This includes registrations, advance travel requests, reservations, itineraries, and transportation.
- Maintains confidentiality of work-related issues, client records, and City information.
- May direct the work of others.
- Regular attendance is an essential requirement
- Performs related work as assigned and/or required
QUALIFYING EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE (MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS):
- Any combination of education and experience equivalent to a high school diploma or G.E.D. and four (4) years progressively responsible clerical office work experience. College-level course work in business administration with course work in secretarial/office practices and procedures required. Six months work experience on computers using word processing and spreadsheet software required.
Basic accounting and basic math.
- Typing 50 words per minute using computer word processing software required.
Knowledge of: Applicable laws, regulations, policies, and procedures.
- Use correct punctuation, spelling, grammar, and appropriate vocabulary.
- Operate office equipment such as photocopier, fax machine, typewriter, and computer programs such as Word, Word Perfect, Excel, Access, and other Windows programs.
- Maintain confidentiality.
- Rapidly and accurately transcribe dictation, interviews, memos, and letters.
- Work independently, set priorities, meet deadlines, and exercise independent judgment.
- Collect and analyze data and prepare reports.
- Efficiently perform general secretarial and clerical work involving the use of independent judgment and personal initiative.
- Type 50 WPM.
- Communicate effectively both orally and in writing.
- Provide detailed assistance to the public on technical information, which requires knowledge of laws, regulations, policies and procedures.
- Work sensitively and effectively with a diverse population.
- Analyze complex office problems and develop and implement appropriate solutions.
Applicants can apply on-line at http://www.BremertonWA.gov/169/Current-Jobs, or application packets may be obtained from the Human Resources Department, Cobweb, or by calling (360) 473-5348.
Required Application Materials: City application and personal résumé are required. Incomplete application packets will not be considered. Required application materials must be returned to the Human Resources Office by 5:00 p.m. on the closing date. The City of Bremerton is NOT responsible for errors of any kind with faxed or e-mailed application packets. Original signature is required on paper application forms. It is the responsibility of the applicant to carefully list all pertinent experience and training.
Appraisal of Experience and Education/Training: At this initial review, application packets may be evaluated entirely on the basis of information you provided in the completed City application form. Applicants should include all relevant information on the City application. Applicant’s education, training, and experience will be assessed. The passing score is 70%. The top qualifying candidates will be invited to participate further in the examination process. Meeting or exceeding qualifications does not guarantee the applicant will be invited to participate in the oral examination process.
Oral Examination: A panel will evaluate the applicant’s training, experience, and ability to perform the job. Placement on the eligibility list is determined by weighted examination scores as follows:
Appraisal of application packet regarding Experience and Education/Training -
Passing Score 70% - Weight 30%
Excel Examination - Passing Score 70% - Weight 30%
Oral Examination - Passing Score 70% - Weight 40%
Applicants must achieve a score of 70% or better on each portion of the exam in order to be placed on the hiring list.
Employee Preference: Regular City employees applying for and passing an Open Examination will have seven point five (7.5) percent of their PASSING score added to establish their final score.
Veteran's Preference: Veterans, who have passed an examination, shall be entitled to preference pursuant to Chapter 41.04 RCW.
Any applicant who wishes to appeal any part of an examination shall file an appeal in writing with the Civil Service Officer within five (5) working days (Civil Service Rule 9.23A) following administration of the examination.
APPLICANTS SELECTED FOR HIRE MUST SUCCESSFULLY PASS A BACKGROUND INVESTIGATION AND REFERENCE CHECK AND SUBMIT A CURRENT DRIVER'S ABSTRACT.
NOTE TO APPLICANTS WITH DISABILITIES: Applicants with disabilities who will need special accommodation for examination must advise Human Resources no later than one (1) week prior to the scheduled examination so that appropriate arrangements can be made. (360) 473-5348.
LEGAL and REGULATORY EMPLOYMENT CONDITIONS
Fair Labor Standards Act: The classification is non-exempt under the laws of Fair Labor Standards Act minimum wage and overtime provisions.
Representation: The classification is included in the bargaining unit pursuant to the Recognition Article of the current labor agreement between the City of Bremerton and the Teamsters Local 589.
Civil Service: Positions located in the Police or Fire Department are included in the City's Civil Service System; all others are excluded.
Appointment and Removal Authority: The position is filled by appointment by the Department Head. Removal is by action of the Department Head in conformance with Human Resources Policies.
This classification specification does not constitute an employment agreement between the City and employee. It is subject to change by the City, with the approval of Human Resources, as the needs of the City and requirements change.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement
It is the policy of the City of Bremerton to offer equal employment opportunity to all individuals. The City of Bremerton will administer all actions with respect to employment practices in compliance with federal, state and local laws, and will not discriminate in any employment practice on the basis of age (40+), sex, race, creed, color, national origin, sexual orientation/gender identity, marital status, military status, or the presence of any physical, mental or sensory disability.
The City of Bremerton does not discriminate on the basis of disability in programs and activities, which it operates pursuant to the requirements of the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, and ADA Amendments Act. This policy extends to both employment and admission to participation in the programs, services and activities of the City of Bremerton. Reasonable accommodation for employees or applicants for employment will be provided.
The City of Bremerton is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer committed to a diverse workforce.