BUSINESS DEVELOPMENT OFFICER
An outstanding opportunity exists for a Business Development Officer for the Economic
Development Corporation of Kansas City, Missouri. The EDC – KC has undergone a
complete reorganization in conjunction with an aggressive strategic plan. Kansas City,
Missouri is undergoing a remarkable economic development renaissance. Over $3 billion
in new construction is completed and underway in downtown alone and new
development opportunities abound. A Business Development Officer provides site
selection, local and state business incentives, governmental ombudsman services, and
financing options to existing KCMO businesses and companies seeking to relocate to the
city. The qualified candidate must have excellent communication skills, both for verbal
and written presentations. Knowledge of City and Missouri incentive programs,
familiarity with the Kansas City economy, Kansas City business associations, real estate
practices, and finances are emphasized. A Bachelor’s degree and a minimum of 3 years
of direct economic development experience are required. Kansas City, Missouri
residency, or a willingness to relocate is a requirement.
Essential Job Functions
• Evaluate and coordinate redevelopment opportunities within Kansas City for redevelopment projects
seeking economic development incentives through the following agencies: Land Clearance for
Redevelopment Authority (LCRA), Tax Increment Financing Commission (TIF), Planned Industrial
Expansion Authority (PIEA), and Chapter 353 tax abatement program. This position may also assist
with project management for Chapter 100, Port Authority, Kansas City, Missouri, CDE and other
affiliated agencies/incentive programs associated with EDC.
• Meet with developers and stakeholders regarding potential redevelopment projects to discuss scope of
the redevelopment project, incentive programs, zoning/land use and other essential information.
• Evaluate redevelopment project information to determine if a redevelopment project is eligible for
economic development incentive programs.
• Select third-party consultants and draft essential documents such as funding agreements, request for
proposals and other necessary scope of services documents.
• Ability to understand reports/documents as they relate to real estate finance, blight findings and legal
• Responsible for project management of redevelopment projects through incentive agency processes
which include the following duties: managing all notices, writing Plan/Amendment documents, creating
various exhibits for Plan/Amendments, draft staff reports and testify at agency, City Plan Commission
and City Council committee hearings.
• Assist with special projects related to real estate development/economic development agency
• Work in a team capacity and have an understanding of business related economic development
• Perform other duties as assigned that are related to economic development or agency incentive
• Attends work regularly to ensure timely delivery of assignments and to meet with fellow team members
on short notice as needed for development purposes.
Ancillary Job Functions
• Build relationships with external partners and key stakeholders to assist with redevelopment
• Review existing policies and processes and provide comments and/or recommendations.
• Provide awareness of various services and/or programs EDC has available for redevelopment
Education and Experience – An equivalent combination of education, training and experience will be
• Bachelor's degree in Architecture, Economics, Planning, Public Administration or related field is
• Master’s degree, economic development certification, CCIM institute certified, National
Development Council certified, or economic development experience highly preferred.
• A minimum of 3 years of experience of in economic development, community development,
planning, or real estate finance is required.
• Valid driver’s license.
• Must reside within the city limits of Kansas City, Missouri.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities which may be representative, but not all-inclusive of those
commonly associated with this position.
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
• Excellent presentation skills.
• Understanding of real estate finance and zoning/land use related planning matters.
• Ability to work as part of a multi-disciplinary team or independently. Coordination with Business
Development Officer (team partner) is essential.
• Excellent project management skills.
• Excellent organizational and time management skills.
• Proficient with the Microsoft Office Suite.
• High level of attention to details required.
Work Environment – Environmental or atmospheric conditions commonly associated with the
performance of the functions of this job.
• Moderate noise (i.e. phone calls, keyboards, printers/copiers).
• On rare occasion, exposed to fumes, inclement weather, or wet humid conditions on site visits.
Physical Abilities commonly associated with the performance of the functions of this job. The physical
demands described below are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully
perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals
with disabilities to perform essential functions.
• Clarity of vision at 20 inches or less and 20 feet or more.
• Regularly sits, talks on the phone, and listens to others’ requests.
• Ability to perform repetitive wrist or hand movements.
• Ability to identify and distinguish colors.
• Ability to drive to work related meetings.
• Ability to reach with arms, stoop, and kneel.