The Manager of Power Accounting is responsible for managing the accurate, comprehensive, and timely completion of daily/monthly settlement of wholesale markets, metering and power billings. They are also responsible for all protocols for the processes within the department and quality assurance within these processes.
- Manage and supervise the operational, budgetary, and financial activities of the power accounting department.
- Responsible for managing the accurate, comprehensive and timely completion of daily/monthly settlement of wholesale markets, metering and power billings.
- Analyze, recommend, design, and implement protocols for processing settlement, metering and power billings within available and developing systems.
- Recommend, design, and implement protocols for quality assurance in settlement, metering and power billing processing.
- Identify, recommend and implement necessary sort term shifts in application of the department resources to facilitate timely completion of daily/monthly settlement, metering and power billings.
- Assist in the development of Market related business/production systems.
- Responsible for software analysis, design, development and integration for a variety of software applications. Tasks will include development of technical specifications, software programming, performing unit testing and supporting systems and business acceptance testing.
- Responsible for performing integration efforts, evaluating new and evolving business requirements and review/recommend appropriate systems and procedural alternatives.
- Assure that all schedules are met to achieve billing deadlines.
- Assist in special projects that may be required.
- Responsible for staying proficient in current and developing systems and identify and exploit efficiency/automation opportunities through system enhancements.
- Responsible for keeping up-to-date on all NEPOOL/ISO-NE Wholesale Markets and Settlement/Billing rules and procedures.
- Communicate effectively with ISO staff, NEPOOL and Vermont Distribution Utility personnel to respond to inquiries, responsibly resolve problems pertaining to market settlement issues, and analyze/gather information in support of complex research efforts.
- Assist the Director of ISO-NE Relations & Power Accounting in the development and implementation of new and/or more efficient ways of processing data within the department.
- Responsible for ensuring that the development of the team is adequate to make certain all have skills to excel in their position.
- Coordinate the development of reporting/analysis to service special customer information requirements and requests.
- Lead employees to meet VELCO’s expectations for productivity, quality, safety and continuous improvement, while operating in accordance with corporate and departmental policies and procedures.
- Strive to create a work group culture that is consistent with VELCO’s mission, vision and values.
- Maintain understanding of personnel-related laws and regulations and internal policies and procedures sufficient to compliantly manage assigned workers.
- Maintain employee work schedules, including: assignments, vacations and sick time, and overtime scheduling and authorization. Ensure timecards are completed accurately, in a timely manner and in compliance with internal rules and wage and hour laws.
- As vacancies occur work with leadership and Human Resources to recruit, interview, select, hire, and onboard new employees.
- Coach, mentor and develop staff including identifying training/educational and career development opportunities.
- Provide effective performance feedback through the Take5 process and other formal and informal mechanisms, including goal setting, feedback, and performance development. When performance issues arise take appropriate disciplinary action, under the direction of leadership and Human Resources.
- Provide input on salary decisions in alignment with VELCO’s salary administration procedures.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Education & Training
A Bachelor’s degree in Accounting or Computer Information Systems is preferred though will consider applicants with relevant work experience (at least five years) and/or similar educational disciplines.
Minimum seven years of experience in accounting/financial management or an equivalent combination of education and experience are required. Experience with various accounting and database applications, as well as familiarity with the utility industry are a plus.
Must be proficient in advanced software applications, e.g. Microsoft Office. Must be able to handle large amounts of information and synthesize decisions/recommendations to balance cost with risk. Must also be a self-starter who can multi-task and effectively troubleshoot. Excellent interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills and high attention to detail are essential. General knowledge of employment laws and practices, as well as experience in personnel supervision or management.
Must be able to perform typical administrative functions, prolonged periods sitting at a desk, working on a computer with periods of scanning, filing, copying, etc. Must be able to maintain fast pace while completing detailed work, with competing priorities, within tight timelines. Must be able to work additional hours when necessary.
If you are interested in applying please visit the careers page of www.VELCO.com and submit an application. VELCO is an equal opportunity employer