Optional Education Program Coordinator
General Information & Responsibilities
GENERAL RESPONSIBILITIES: The Optional Education Program Coordinator provides coordination of the Truants’ Alternative/Optional Education Program (TAOEP) and the Early School Leavers Transition Program (ESLTP) in compliance with Illinois Community College Board (ICCB) and Illinois State Board of Education requirements. Serves as a liaison with cooperating school districts. Responsible for grant applications and related data and fiscal reporting.
Description of Duties
DESCRIPTION OF ESSENTIAL DUTIES:
- Articulates program vision and goals to students, staff, parents, cooperating school districts, Black Hawk College personnel, and the community.
- Evaluates previous school records and leads a multi-disciplinary team comprised of instructors, advisors, and counselors to work with students and parents in the creation of each student’s individualized plan for secondary completion, career development, and transition to postsecondary training or employment.
- Maintains a safe and orderly climate that fosters student learning and personal development.
- Evaluates instructional curricula and works with instructors to modify or create new curricula to meet student needs.
- Hires instructional and support staff.
- Secures financial resources to operate through writing the annual TAOEP and ESLTP grants as well as other related grant applications when available.
- Submits required data and fiscal reports on a timely basis.
DESCRIPTION OF OTHER JOB DUTIES:
- Works with assigned Adult Education staff to provide professional development opportunities for faculty and staff.
- Performs other job-related duties as assigned.
- Demonstrates BHC core values.
- Maintains accuracy and efficiency of work.
- Demonstrates dependability.
- Maintains up-to-date job knowledge of Adult Education programs and services.
- Maintains up-to-date job knowledge of job related computer software and applications.
- Works cooperatively with others.
- Communicates professionally and in a pleasant manner.
- Maintains student confidentiality, security and permanency of all student records/information.
PRINCIPAL WORKING RELATIONSHIPS:
- Reports directly to the Director of Adult Education.
- Works directly with students and parents.
- Works directly with agency and school district personnel.
- Works cooperatively with Adult Education and other College employees.
Education & Experience
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE: (To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required.)
- Bachelor’s degree with a focus on education or social services and two years of experience working with at-risk youth in an educational or social service setting required. Master’s degree with a focus on education or social services strongly preferred.
- Professional Educator License with Endorsements in either Secondary Education, Learning Behavior Specialist, Principal, School Counselor, or Social Worker preferred.
- Management experience demonstrated through responsibilities such as employee supervision, grant administration, and/or budget management required.
- Experience working with diverse populations required.
The above statements reflect the general details necessary to describe the principle functions of the described job; it is not an all-encompassing statement of all the work requirements that may be necessary to perform the job.
Work hours are Monday – Friday, 8am – 5pm, but candidate must be flexible to meet business needs.
Official transcripts will be required of any candidate hired for this position.
Salary range for this position is $37,893 - $40,880 per year. BHC provides an outstanding benefits package with comprehensive medical, dental, vision, and Rx insurance on first day of employment, free life and LDT insurance, pension thru SURS, paid holidays, paid vacation, paid sick, and paid personal days, and much more!
Black Hawk College does not sponsor employment visas.
While you contribute your talent and enthusiasm to BHC, as an eligible employee you will have access to outstanding health benefits, ample time off, a pension plan, educational opportunities, and much more.
Prescription Drug Plan
Mail Order Pharmacy
Basic Life Insurance
Employee Assistance Program
Flexible Spending Account (FSA)/Dependent Care Account (DCA)
Free use of fitness center
Retirement Pension Plans
State University Retirement System of Illinois (SURS): Employees working in a regular and continuous position or one in which services are expected to be rendered on a continuous basis for at least four months or one academic term, whichever is less, may be eligible to enroll in SURS. To learn more about SURS, visit www.SURS.org.
Optional 403b Tax-Deferred Investment Program: Employees may set up a 403b plan through Edward Jones Investments/Mass Mutual.