The Meeker County Sheriff’s Office is taking applications for a Communications
Specialist. This position is directly responsible for the day to day technical
operations of the ARMER system relating to installation and implementation of
new radios, maintenance and repair of the entire Meeker County ARMER
infrastructure, client work to include equipment installation and programming,
technical support, inventory and training.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Oversees the planning, administration, maintenance and operation of the County
ARMER radio system.
2. Acts as an expert and liaison with local, regional and state radio system users,
boards and agencies.
3. Develops and maintains a detailed working knowledge of radio systems and
serves as a resource to management, employees and clients on system
4. Develops and maintains a preventative maintenance schedule for all Meeker
County Sheriff’s Office radio and related equipment to ensure compliance with
standards and regulations.
5. Performs preventive maintenance such as battery testing/replacement, equipment
cleaning, equipment exchanges and other mechanical maintenance.
6. Management of service agreements with system users.
7. Supervises the installation, maintenance and repair of communications equipment
including base stations, microwave subsystems, control consoles, mobile units,
hand-held portables, telephone systems and data systems.
8. Installs and removes radios and related electronic equipment in motor vehicles
and at fixed locations.
9. Supervises the installation, maintenance and repair of related vehicle electronic
equipment including radar units, sirens, computers, recorders, and control units.
10. Review and recommend operational policies and procedures that ensure the
most effective and efficient systems are in place to support the requirements of local
users such as law enforcement, fire, EMS and public works.
11. Creates and reviews needs assessments, system designs, and project
management for new and updated communication systems. Makes
recommendations based on these reviews and implements plans when approved.
12. Researches new communications and electronic equipment; analyzes and
develops solutions to radio system interference problems.
13. Assists client agencies in the planning, design, specification, installation, and
project management for procurement of new equipment.
14. Provides client radio and equipment installation and radio programming as
15. Accounts for time and materials and document work performed for client
16. Oversees the maintenance of records, inventory, and requisitions; prepares
management reports as needed.
17. Supervises and provides technical direction to communications staff and
inspects or reviews work projects for compliance with standards and regulations.
18. Collaborates with the Sheriff to develop budget requests for operating expenses
and capital asset purchases.
19. Responds to urgent after-hours requests for repairs as needed.
20. Performs other related duties as assigned or as it becomes apparent in carrying
out job duties and responsibilities.
Must be in good physical condition, must pass a background check, physical exam
and must be available to work inside or out, day or night and under conditions of
adverse weather and temperature.
To read the complete job description and apply for this position, visit the Meeker County website at www.co.meeker.mn.us
Questions can be directed to the Meeker County Sheriff’s Office at (320)693-5414
or Meeker County Human Resources at (320)693-5203. Closing date for
applications is June 20, 2021. An EOE.