Job Title: Specialist, Strategic School Budgeting
Office: Office of Resource Strategy
Date Posted: 5/28/2021
Salary Range: 1-5 / $82,007 - $92,534 Per Year
NTE Date: N/A
The mission of the Office of Resource Strategy (ORS) is to align and manage resources across the organization to best meet the needs of our schools and create the conditions for district success. The Office is responsible for facilitating the successful financial and business performance of the district and integrating the district's business and financial interests to ensure an equitable distribution of resources that best serves all students. The Office provides financial strategy and leadership to implement strategic goals and objectives and gives direction to leadership toward the achievement of the District's philosophy, mission, strategy, annual goals, and (see application details) Office also is responsible for ensuring sound business and financial practices are followed in compliance with federal and state regulations, district policy, business policies and procedures, and other applicable financial and business standards and (see application details) Office supports employees throughout the district to ensure DCPS provides high-quality customer service and employee support for all district employees.
ORS programs include the following:
- Employee Services: provide legally-compliant employee services related to benefits and compensation, manage workforce data and systems, and provide world-class customer service within 24 hours;
- Contracts & Acquisitions: Support schools and Central Office in purchasing goods in alignment with procurement law and regulation; and
- Finance: Ensure school and central office finances are allocated and expended in alignment with the district's strategic plan, in a manner that fosters transparency, maximizes funds, promotes equity, and ensures compliance with requirements.
The Finance division is responsible for ensuring that Central Office and school support functions align necessary resources to the district's strategic plan in order to strategically solve long-term budget challenges and improve budget processes across the agency.
A strategic problem-solver with experience in education, the Specialist, Strategic School Budgeting will support schools in budgeting and expending funds in alignment with schools' goals to ultimately improve student outcomes. The Specialist will gather and utilize data to provide targeted, high-quality customer service to principals and school finance professionals on school finance, as part of DCPS' cluster support model. Supports may include developing specific budget modeling and analysis, analyzing and reporting data for multiple stakeholder audiences, developing and leading training, and developing resources.
To apply, combine cover letter and resume into one PDF and submit through this system.
The Specialist, Strategic School Budgeting will report to the Director, School Finance.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
The below statements are intended to describe the general nature and scope of work being performed by this position. This is not a complete listing of all responsibilities, duties, and/or skills required. Other duties may be assigned.
- Regularly visits schools (up to three to four days per week) (or connects virtually due to virtual learning due to COVID) and supports principals and school finance professionals throughout the year in developing and spending budgets.
- Collects, analyzes, and presents data and progress of initiatives for various audiences in writing and verbally.
- Assesses the fiscal support needs of principals and school finance professionals and supports the creation and facilitation of tiered professional learning opportunities and resources (in-person and on-demand) to support these staff with budget.
- Creates detailed timelines for each initiative; assesses and tracks project progress regularly using various computer programs and tools; and drives project completion, holding others accountable for responsibilities and deadlines, and resolving complex obstacles.
- Builds relationships and liaises with various instructional superintendents, principals, central office programs, and school-based staff to drive collaboration and project success; and interacts with and responds effectively to urgent requests from multiple internal and external DCPS stakeholders.
- Keeps current with best practices and trends in school finance.
- Supports development and production of school budget guidance and public documents.
- Supports community budget engagement.
- Bachelor's degree and three to five years of related work experience.
- Master's degree preferred.
- Experience in the education sector strongly preferred.
- Working knowledge of budgeting and procurement planning.
- Strategic, data-driven problem solver.
- Strong communications and interpersonal skills, with the ability to manage up and laterally, and clearly provide and document next steps.
- Responsive, reliable, flexible, adaptable, and comfortable working in a fast-paced environment in schools and at Central Office.
- Gives and receives feedback openly, directly, and respectfully, and is willing to disagree.
- Collaborative, curious, self-directed, and quick learner.
- Experience designing and implementing professional development for adults a plus.
- Experience in DC government financial systems a plus.
- STUDENTS FIRST: We recognize students as whole children and put their needs first in everything we do.
- COURAGE: We have the audacity to learn from our successes and failures, to try new things, and to lead the nation as a proof point of PK-12 success.
- EQUITY: We work proactively to eliminate opportunity gaps by interrupting institutional bias and investing in effective strategies to ensure every student succeeds.
- EXCELLENCE: We work with integrity and hold ourselves accountable for exemplary outcomes, service, and interactions.
- TEAMWORK: We recognize that our greatest asset is our collective vision and ability to work collaboratively and authentically.
- JOY: We enjoy our collective work and will enthusiastically celebrate our success and each other.