The OB surgical technologist is a surgical based position with a specialty in L&D. This position includes direct patient care in combination with coordinated functions to promote high quality, cost effective health care services. This position also functions to help deliver care to our patients who are having vaginal deliveries.
Essential Job Duties:
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Provides care to patients and families in a developmentally, culturally, and ethically appropriate manner.
- Maintains a safe environment for the patient and O.R. team members by assuring a sterile environment, using equipment according to operating manual.
- Transports patients and specialty equipment in accordance with established safety policies.
- Provides patient care during the intraoperative phase of surgery using physician preference cards and organizing and prioritizing care activities based on the patient and / or environmental changes.
- Functions as scrub tech in the following types of cases (including, but not limited to) those procedures performed in the L&D ORs.
- Performs the following surgical skills independently: opening surgical supplies, gowning and gloving all members of surgical team, basic positioning of patients, between case cleaning of OR's and surgical suite, and performs other tasks as directed.
- Demonstrates proper care of instrumentation including cleaning, disinfection, and transporting of surgical equipment for sterilization.
- Assists with admission of patients by greeting and performing initial weight, V.S orientation to room etc.
- Performs point of care testing in accordance with AAMC policy and procedures.
- Maintains adequate levels of supplies and equipment both in the OR and on the unit, department or initiative.
- High School or equivalent required.
- Surgical Technologist Certification or Minimum 2 years Surgical Technologist experience.
- American Heart Association Healthcare Provider BLS.
- Certified Nursing Assistant
Working Conditions, Equipment, Physical Demands:
There is a reasonable expectation that employees in this position will be exposed to blood-borne pathogens.
Physical Demands -
Very heavy work. Exerting in excess of 100 pounds of force frequently, and/or in excess of 50 pounds of force constantly to move objects.
The physical demands and work environment that have been described are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions in accordance with the Americans with Disabilities Act.
The above job description is an overview of the functions and requirements for this position. This document is not intended to be an exhaustive list encompassing every duty and requirement of this position; your supervisor may assign other duties as deemed necessary.