ImOn Communications is the LOCAL choice for cable TV, high-speed Internet and phone service. We value the relationships we have with colleagues, customers, and members of our community and look forward to serving Eastern Iowa for many years to come. As we expand our service availability we are looking for a Business Construction Technician to be a part of the ImOn Difference! Our employees share a passion for “Creating Connections One Person at a Time” and fostering a fun and rewarding work environment.
This Business Construction Technician will perform tasks necessary to build a service order and build activity associated with network facilities (copper, coax, and fiber). Focuses on the overall operations of the network, including network performance, installation, and/or maintenance. Conducts routine network operations activities, including translations and other duties involved with the preparation needed prior to installation or the tracking and analysis of network elements. Outside plant construction pathways are either aerial, underground, conduit, direct buried and can be used in any combination depending on the job requirements.
Essential Job Responsibilities for Primary Functional Area of Accountability
- Builds, repairs and maintains major cable system and structures such as broken lashing, replacing or re-sagging aerial strand, pole transfers, down-guys, aerial to underground conversion, substructure repairs and cable replacements related to system outages, maintenance, rebuilds and emergencies or hazards.
- Turn up hard line splicing, phone, fiber, pole transfers, and relocation network projects by completing the following tasks with supervision.
- Do the prep work for Loose Tube, Mid-Sheath, and Splitting Ribbon Buffer Tube. Fiber optic cable.
- Splicing Fiber optic cable (loose tube, Ribbon, Multi-mode) fiber together, customer and company termination panels.
- Ability to Operate Optical Time Domain Reflector meters to test fiber use of visual fault light and power meter loss and readings.
- Complete a building entrance for services
- Aerial Telecommunications Construction
- Construct aerial network fiber (FTTX)
- Pole frames
- Gigging cable
- Reads and interprets work orders, specifications, and engineering drawings.
- Fiber Documentation – read and understand the following:
- Maps for FTTX- new fiber to the X or subscriber
- Maps for HFC and Phone
- Fiber Splice documentation
- Termination Assignments
- Performs construction work such as digging holes, climbing telephone poles, placing and removing anchors, pulling and stringing wire/cable from pole to pole, laying cable and conduit in the ground.
- Operates power equipment such as generators, blowers and hydraulic aerial lifts mounted on trucks.
- Uses test equipment to check for gas in manholes; may be required to empty water and other debris from manholes.
- Dismantles, moves, and removes aerial, underground or building wire, cable associated equipment, and hardware.
- Connects wires and cables to terminals and attaches/detaches various kinds of hardware to wires, cables, buildings, or poles.
- Responds to and participates in emergency and outage situations that require heavy construction capabilities.
- Ensures that all work considers the safety of the customer and general public and compliance with all governmental orders.
- Able and willing to work outdoors and in inclement weather conditions.
- Some travel involved, occasionally overnight
- All other duties as assigned
Required Experience, Training, and Special Qualifications
• 1+ year(s) experience in one or combination of equipment installation, cable splicing, line work, installation and repair.
• Must accommodate after-hours work as required.
• High School Diploma or equivalent.
• Valid Iowa Driver License with the ability to obtain an Iowa CDL Class DII Driver License for bucket trucks and a driving record that allows employee to be insured by ImOn’s insurance carrier.
• Aerial only work will require DOT Class B License with an air brake endorsement as well as the ability to gaff and climb poles.
Essential Physical Abilities
* Requires the following with or without reasonable accommodation:
• Sufficient clarity of speech and hearing which permits the employee to communicate effectively.
• Vision ability: close vision, peripheral vision, and ability to adjust focus
• Must have a valid driver’s license and satisfactory driving record
• Must accommodate various working conditions such as: Poorly ventilated areas such as attics during extreme heat, dust, dirt, noise, insects, cleaning solutions
• Work outdoors in all kinds of weather and at all times of the day or night
• Work near power lines and electricity
• Work and travel in inclement weather
• Ability to work while standing 50 - 70% of the time
• Ability to use the following hand tools: electric drills, hammers, wrenches, and screwdrivers.
• Ability to perform job from high places (i.e. poles and roofs)
• Ability to make cable connections in tight spaces by bending, reaching, twisting
• Ability to walk over all types of terrain in all kinds of weather while carrying tools and equipment, including gaffs, ladders, and fully loaded tool belts
• Ability to carry, climb and operate extension ladder, (approx. 28 ft high and 75+ pounds)
• Ability to climb poles using gaffs, hooks and climbing belt as needed
• Employees must be able to use required personal protective equipment to adhere to safety requirements.
• Employees in this position must weigh within the safety weight requirements (250lbs without tools) to safely operate company ladders and bucket trucks which are essential to this position.
ImOn also offers competitive pay, health and dental insurance, 401(k), discounted Cable, Internet & Phone services, and additional perks such as FREE vision insurance, FREE life insurance and FREE short term/long term disability, as well as vacation & holiday pay, and community volunteer opportunities.
If you are interested in being a part of the ImOn Difference apply today!