Coe College is seeking a responsible and dependable individual for the position of Security Officer. This position is responsible for maintaining the safety and security of Coe College’s campus, students, faculty, and staff while providing excellent service in stressful situations. Duties include patrolling campus, lock/unlock, granting after hour access to buildings, responding to medical, fire, and criminal concerns, E-Panic Emergency Alerts, policy enforcement, parking enforcement, wellness checks as well as evaluating calls for after-hours maintenance. Strong customer service skills including the ability to interact positively with the college community and visitors is desired.
This position is a full-time,12-months and is eligible for a generous benefits package which includes vacation, TIAA retirement program with employer match, and tuition remission and exchange.
- 1-2 years of security or customer service experience preferred.
- CPR/AED/First Responder trained for medical emergencies preferred. Training will be provided for certified use of Oleoresin Capsicum (pepper spray) and Tear Gas Combination Spray.
- Valid Iowa driver’s license.
- Successful completion of a criminal and driver background check in accordance with Coe College policy.
Knowledge, Skills and Competencies:
- Ability to successfully conduct security patrols without direct supervision.
- Strong interpersonal skills, flexibility, and customer service orientation.
- Ability to detect problems and report information to appropriate personnel.
- Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing.
- Strong organizational skills.
- Ability to follow instruction with little supervision.
- Ability to maintain order in any situation while reacting quickly and calmly to determine the proper course of action.
- Ability to operate motor vehicle.
- Dedication to the educational mission of a private, residential liberal arts college.
- Ability to maintain positive relationships in a collaborative and diverse team atmosphere.
- Commitment to excellent customer and/or student service.
- Demonstrated ethical and responsible decision making.
- Consistent attendance and accountability necessary to meet position objectives.
- Interpersonal skill using tact, patience, and safety.
Working Conditions and Physical Requirements:
- Scheduled hours will include weekends and holidays.
- The position can be physically demanding and may involve the following:
- The ability to perform extensive walking and climbing of stairs.
- May be required to perform moderate lifting, bending and climbing.
- May be exposed to environmental hazards including, chemicals, bloodborne and airborne pathogens.
- May be required to work in all types of weather conditions
Coe is committed to fostering a multicultural environment and encourages applications from individuals who will help fulfill that goal. We value the input of multiple viewpoints and diverse perspectives and aim to create an academic community that is rich with cultural, social and intellectual diversity. Coe College is an equal opportunity employer.