Design for Manufacturing (DFM) Engineer - PCBA
Santa Clara Valley (Cupertino) , California , United States
Posted: Jun 4, 2021
Role Number: 200251868
Imagine what you could do here. At Apple, new ideas have a way of becoming extraordinary products, services, and customer experiences very quickly. Bring passion and dedication to your job and there's no telling what you could accomplish. The people here at Apple don't just create products - they create the kind of wonder that's revolutionized entire industries. It's the diversity of those people and their ideas that inspires the innovation that runs through everything we do, from amazing technology to industry-leading environmental efforts. Join Apple, and help us leave the world better than we found it. Apple products are as beautiful on the inside as they are on the outside. Inside every one of our products, are some of the world's most challenging consumer PCBA and Flex designs. Imagine yourself as a select member of the team that brings these assemblies from concept to high volume manufacturing.
- The PCBA DFM Engineer or Technologist will have a deep level of creativity and curiosity about materials science and electronics packaging at all levels.
- 2+ years of research or process development experience in an applicable field.
- Familiarity with the properties and process used in microelectronics fabrication and PCBA assembly.
- Aptitude to work with a multi-functional team to define requirements and suitable metrics for the performance of new products and process.
- Proven ability to self-manage and deliver results in a pure development role.
- Capability and willingness to travel frequently, i.e. >20%.
DFM PCBA Engineers at Apple are specialists in high quality, reliable electronics manufacturing. We spend the majority of our time working in the "New Product Introduction" space, which is the time a product spends growing from proof of concept until it is ready for mass production. You will be assigned to a product and be responsible for the manufacturability of its design through application of our design guidelines. You will build the assembly process and design the PCB panelization. You will use structured problem solving and data analysis methods to solve problems when things go wrong. You will share your new discoveries with your peers and to file patents for novel ideas that you develop. To make the best products, you'll interact with specialists from other teams like Product Design, EE, PCB Layout, Program Office, Reliability, TPM, Component Quality, Capex and others. You will communicate frequently and effectively to peers and leadership teams to keep them apprised of the status of your product. You will support (in person or remotely) the factory and our in region teams when your product is getting built.
Education & Experience
A degree in an engineering discipline (mechanical, chemical, electrical or materials science) is preferred and a strong, directly applicable background will be considered as well.
- Apple is an Equal Opportunity Employer that is committed to inclusion and diversity. We take affirmative action to ensure equal opportunity for all applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, or other legally protected characteristics. If you'd like more information about your EEO rights as an applicant, please click here. Apple will not discriminate or retaliate against applicants who inquire about, disclose, or discuss their compensation or that of other applicants.
- Apple will consider for employment all qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with applicable law.
- Apple participates in the E-Verify program in certain locations as required by law.
- Apple is committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodation to applicants with physical and mental disabilities.