This position provides direct patient care and functions as a resource person for one or more specialties, while demonstrating basic patient care concepts, surgical asepsis and basic surgical case preparation.
Essential Job Duties:
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Maintains a safe environment for the patient and the O.R. team by assuring a sterile environment, using equipment according to operating room manual.
- Transports patients and specialty equipment in accordance with safety policy.
- Provides patient care during the intra-operative phase of the surgery using physician preference cards and organizing and prioritizing care activities based on the patient and/or environmental changes.
- Functions as a first scrub in the following types of cases (including but not limited to): general/GYN, ENT, plastics, basic/minor ortho/neuro, dental/ortho, urology/cysto and basic vascular procedures, and demonstrates proper care of instrumentation including cleaning and sterilization of surgical equipment.
- Performs the following surgical skills independently: Opening surgical supplies, gowning and gloving all members of the surgical team, basic positioning of the patient, between case cleaning, terminal cleaning of the ORs and surgical suite, performs circulating skills and tasks as directed.
- Graduate from an accredited surgical technologist program or its equivalent.
- Employed at AAMC a minimum of two years, one year in surgical technologist position, or two years surgical technologist experience at another institution, or one year experience as Surgical Technologist and certification.
- American Heart Association HealthCare Provider BLS
Working Conditions, Equipment, Physical Demands:
There is a reasonable expectation that employees in this position will be exposed to blood-borne pathogens.
Physical Demands -
Medium work. Exerting up to 50 pounds of force occasionally, and/or up to 30 pounds of force frequently, and/or up to 10 pounds of force constantly to move objects.
The physical demands and work environment that have been described are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions in accordance with the Americans with Disabilities Act.
The above job description is an overview of the functions and requirements for this position. This document is not intended to be an exhaustive list encompassing every duty and requirement of this position; your supervisor may assign other duties as deemed necessary.