Solebury School seeks a qualified Custodian/General Maintenance Worker for an immediate opening. This is an hourly, full-time position. A qualified candidate will have demonstrated custodial experience including interior and exterior, as well as experience within a school’s facilities department to support school operations.
- Assists all custodial team functions including floor care, maintaining inventory of supplies, general cleaning including, but not limited to: Inside and out of all buildings as requested and per the schedule, dusting, trash removal, floor maintenance
- Cleanup and worksite restoration activities, i.e. picking up litter, disposing of waste and debris, cleaning surfaces
- Performs regular preventive maintenance and cleaning of equipment used; makes repairs within the scope of abilities
- Communicate clearly to custodial manager, especially regarding any supplies needed
- Responds to and takes appropriate actions in event of emergency or incidents to resolve, confine or prevent potentially injurious or hazardous conditions
- Grounds maintenance activities, i.e. cutting, mowing, weeding, edging, blowing, planting foliage, shoveling snow, operating various electric, gas and manually powered tools and equipment, i.e. floor machines, vacuums, mowers, blowers, weed-eaters, hedge trimmers, snow blowers, etc.
- Support school functions and provide room setups and takedowns
- Coordinate several projects simultaneously and set priorities, as well as being flexible
- Performs various additional tasks as requested by the Custodial Manager or Director of Facilities
- Experience and aptitude with modern janitorial methods and floor care
- Positive attitude and interpersonal skills; willingness to work as a team member
- Experience and aptitude with computer programs; a willingness to learn and increase capabilities with the school’s facilities management software and the ability to use basic productivity software (Word, Excel, Outlook, Access, Power Point)
- Lives in close proximity to New Hope, Pennsylvania to be able to provide sufficient response during inclement weather (including snow removal) ?
- Knowledge of:
- Methods used floor care
- Organized work control
- Maintenance and repair general cleaning equipment
- Safety practices and procedures, including OSHA requirements
- Strong team skills, willingness to work with the entire facilities team
- Basic math to include measuring distance and calculating quantities
- Communicate effectively in clear English both oral and written form
Physical Requirements and Work Environment
- The ability to exert significant physical effort in heavy work, including climbing, balancing, stooping, kneeling, crouching and crawling, and lifting, carrying, pushing, and/or pulling of moderately heavy objects and materials weighing 20 to 50 pounds; may occasionally involve heavier objects and materials weighing up to 100 pounds
- Willingness to work outside in inclement weather
- Tasks are regularly performed with potential exposure to adverse environmental conditions, such as strong odors, fumes, dusts, wetness, humidity, machinery, vibrations, temperature and noise extremes, disease, pathogenic substances and toxic/poisonous agents
- Possession of a valid driver’s license
- Ability to pass a school driver’s test
- Submission to full battery of background testing per PA state law
Please submit cover letter and resume to Troy McNeal, Assistant Manager Facilities/Custodial. Resumes will be accepted until the position is filled. Interviews will begin immediately. Submit via email.
Since its founding in 1925, Solebury School has been a leader in progressive education. We are a coeducational boarding and day school serving 235 students in grades 9-12.
Solebury is an Equal Opportunity Employer.