You will love working at Chesterfield County and we'd love to have you join our GIS team. Chesterfield County is the fourth largest local jurisdiction in the state of Virginia, Chesterfield has received awards and recognitions for innovative business solutions, openness and transparency, and embracing new technology and methods. Chesterfield County is adjacent to the City of Richmond, the state capital, and is known for its great outdoor activities, affordable housing, great entertainment, and agreeable weather.
IST GIS Analyst
Information Systems Technology
Salary Range: $65,101 - $111,167
Deadline: 11:59 p.m. June 20, 2021
Chesterfield County Virginia
The IST GIS Team:
There are many departments and teams in Chesterfield County government using GIS. The Information Systems Technology (IST) Department has a GIS team that is an important geospatial resource for all the departments, employees, and county residents. We maintain authoritative databases, facilitate collaboration between departments, offer leadership on data and mapping standards, develop advanced analysis, and offer enhanced capabilities to the county government.
IST GIS Analyst Role:
The IST GIS Analyst, Senior GIS Analyst, or Lead GIS Analyst will work in the Information Systems Technology department under the direction of the GIS Manager/Architect. The title and role of this opening will be flexible and be tailored to match the qualifications, experience, and career outlook of the candidate. The current IST GIS Team includes several GIS Analysts, Specialists and Developers. The team works closely as partners with other internal technology teams, partner groups throughout the county government and with outside partners and vendors. Perform other work as required. (Must maintain personal mobile technology as a condition of employment.)
A good candidate for this position will have extensive experience and the motivation to grow in this role beyond their experience. Experience should include most of the following list:
• Use the ESRI suite of products, services, and solutions for typical GIS tasks such as: digitizing data, producing printed and digital cartographic outputs, editing data, spatial analysis, and land development management.
• Edit and manage spatial data, GIS feature classes, maps, services in an enterprise GIS system.
• Work to create, improve, maintain, and design efficient workflows and QA/QC routines using ESRI tools, Python, and other methods.
• Design and build Extract Transform and Load (ETL) workflows and scripts using Python and other languages to enhance services and interface with non-GIS systems
• Use of spatial and non-spatial data collections and analytic techniques to gain insights into problems, explore the data, generate new questions to work on, and quickly deliver insights.
• Knowledge of system development lifecycle and agile best practices,
• Experience with enterprise architecture, database management, geospatial architecture, use of cloud resources, and web development.
• Understanding source control, user interface design, web development, SQL query language, data sharing, security, and APIs
• Collaborate with technology teams in support of the enterprise GIS environments.
• Meet with others in the county to determine and evaluate geospatial requirements, design data models, make recommendations on solutions, and coordinate implementations of solutions.
• Graduate from an accredited college with a bachelor's degree in Geography, Geographic Information Systems, Information Systems, or similar field along with experience utilizing ESRI's ArcGIS suite of software products and tools. An equivalent combination of education and experience will be considered.
• Have at least four years of experience acting as a GIS Technician, Specialist, or Analyst.
• Must have a demonstrated experience with spatial concepts, cartographic techniques, geodatabases and feature class editing.
• Be an effective team player providing guidance to others as well as expanding their knowledge and skill.
• Must be able to work both independently and within a team environment on daily tasks and priority projects. Excellent communication and interpersonal skills are required.
Pre-employment drug testing, FBI criminal background check and education/degree verification required. This position is subject to working in high security areas governed by the US Department of Justice's "Criminal Justice Information Services (CJIS) Security Policy" and therefore requires successfully passing a more stringent criminal background check.
This position is a part of an approved Career Development Plan (CDP) and offers career progression opportunities and salary incentives, as funding permits, based on performance, qualifications, and experience.
A Chesterfield County application is required and must be submitted online by deadline. Visit chesterfield.gov/careers to view instructions and to complete and submit an application. (804) 748-1551.
An Equal Opportunity Employer Committed to Workforce Diversity