Business Systems Analyst
Salary: $44.12 - $66.21 Hourly
Location: Seattle, WA
Job Type: Classified Civil Service, Regular, Full-Time
Department: Seattle Information Technology
Job Number: 2021-00778
Closing: 6/22/2021 4:00 PM Pacific
The City of Seattle is seeking candidates for the position of Business Systems Analyst with the Platform Applications Division in Seattle Information Technology (Seattle IT).
As a city, Seattle is known as a progressive leader in technology, innovation, and the environment. As an employer, the City of Seattle is leading local government in environmental stewardship and social justice amongst other things, making our City what it is today and shaping our exciting future. The organization's workforce plays a critical role in making this possible.
Seattle IT is the technology backbone of the City of Seattle's complex operations and its ability to deliver a wide array of services for the residents of Seattle. The 700+ strong professionals in Seattle IT are involved in the full spectrum of a modern IT enterprise offering many dynamic career opportunities. Our vision is simple: be a Best-in-Class digital services delivery team and set best practices for others to follow.
Seattle Information Technology is looking for a Business Systems Analyst to work as part of the Accela Enterprise Platform Team. The Accela Team supports the City's Accela application, a critical business application used by multiple departments to manage permitting, licensing, inspections, and code compliance. In this role you will work collaboratively with a software development team in translating business requirements into functional system design tasks. Additionally, you will work with business staff to fine-tune requirements and get design specifications. This position will require knowledge and delivery of best practice documentation and current knowledge of industry standards. This work is primarily associated with the Accela application and will also include work with other applications supported by the Accela Enterprise Platform Team.
Here’s more of what you’ll be doing:
- Listening carefully to and asking clarifying questions about business requests, translating those into business process requirements and system design.
- Analyzing complex system issues to identify the root causes, propose comprehensive solutions consistent with program-level system design standards, and assist with implementation of changes.
- Reviewing legislative language to identify potential impacts to business processes and determine scope of system design changes required to meet new mandates.
- Quickly learn a system's capabilities and configuration options and devise creative solutions for business needs within that framework.
- Creating and updating software specifications; ensure that system documentation libraries are kept up to date and well organized.
- Configuring software using standard software configuration tools.
- Supporting creation of test materials, and assist test team in resolving problems, working with software vendors when appropriate.
- Identifying, documenting, and resolving issues, escalating when appropriate.
- Following established project or departmental review and approval processes and standards for all work.
- Supporting department goals in promoting diversity, race and social justice.
- This position requires occasional non-standard working hours.
NOTE: Equivalent combinations of education/experience/training will be considered for the required qualifications except where specifically noted.
- Five years in-depth experience as a business systems analyst.
- Experience implementing off-the-shelf business applications, including gap-fit analyses, capabilities assessments, design, configuration and testing.
- Experience working with vendors providing support for COTS applications.
- Analytical mindset seeking to know more to help business think of the bigger picture.
- Strong communication and active listening skills; ability to communicate with both technical and business staff.
- General knowledge of database structures and tools (such as SQL, Oracle, MS Access, etc.), including the ability to design and execute queries.
- Ability to manage scope as it pertains to areas of responsibility and keep the project manager and supervisor informed of changes and impact to assigned projects.
- Ability to work independently while maintaining appropriate communications with supervisor about progress and issues.
- Strong professionalism with high emotional intelligence.
- Ability to manage time well to meet project milestones.
- Ability to effectively work in a multi-cultural workplace with a diverse customer base.
- Bachelor's degree in computer science, computer technology or equivalent field or experience.
- Experience working with permitting processes, including familiarity with legislation and best practices for permitting and licensing.
- Experience leading small IT projects with staff resources from a variety of IT specialties.
- Familiarity with Software Development Life Cycle methodologies and templates.
- Familiarity with permitting software such as Accela or Hansen.
- Ability to see beyond the assumed issue to identify and find solutions for underlying business goals.
This position is covered by a collective bargaining unit; International Brotherhood of Electrical Workers, Local 77.
Employees of the City of Seattle enjoy competitive pay and comprehensive benefits package generous leave programs, and the satisfaction of doing work that helps make Seattle a great place to live, work, and play. Explore City of Seattle – Benefits at a Glance (Download PDF reader) for more information.
Seattle IT is in the midst of a transformation as it pivots to become a best-in-class digital service delivery team. Chief Technology Officer Saad Bashir is leading the change through talent and development, investing in employees, collaborating with clients, and adapting modern workplace tools. Click here to learn more.
How to Apply: To be considered for this position, you must submit your complete application, attaching both a cover letter and resume at https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/seattle/.
This position is open to all candidates who meet the minimum qualifications. The Seattle Information Technology Department values diverse perspectives and life experiences. Applicants will be considered regardless of race, color, creed, national origin, ancestry, sex, marital status, disability, religious or political affiliation, age, sexual orientation, or gender identity. ITD encourages people of all backgrounds to apply.
NOTE: Employment contingent upon successful completion of comprehensive background investigation in compliance with Seattle's Fair Change Employment Ordinance SMC 14.17. Background investigation may include CJIS certification conducted under the purview of Seattle Police Department.
City of Seattle
Seattle Municipal Tower
700 5th Avenue, Suite 5500
Seattle, Washington, 98104