Wednesday, June 9, 2021
Inc. (NYSE: GCI) is a subscription-led and digitally focused media and
marketing solutions company committed to empowering communities to thrive. With
an unmatched reach at the national and local level, Gannett touches the lives
of millions with our Pulitzer-Prize winning content, consumer experiences and
benefits, and advertiser products and services.
Our current portfolio of media
assets includes USA TODAY, local media organizations in 46 states in the U.S.,
and Newsquest, a wholly owned subsidiary operating in the United Kingdom with
more than 120 local news media brands. Gannett also owns the digital marketing
services companies ReachLocal, Inc., UpCurve, Inc., and WordStream, Inc., which
are marketed under the LOCALiQ brand, and runs the largest media-owned events
business in the U.S., USA TODAY NETWORK Ventures.
To connect with us, visit www.gannett.com.
The Bedford Times-Mail/tmnews.com, part of the USA TODAY NETWORK, is looking for an energetic sports reporter to cover high school sports in Lawrence County and the surrounding area.
The ideal candidate will use sources to find and tell compelling human-interest stories and identify interesting trends for enterprise stories that go beyond what happened on the court or field. Were looking for someone who is digitally savvy, committed to using social media to drive engagement and ready to drive conversation among passionate players, coaches, fans and parents.
The best candidate will have strong writing ability and the knowledge to write about football, basketball, baseball, softball, volleyball, wrestling, soccer and golf. We want someone who is ambitious, thinks big, writes with authority and has a passion for storytelling and breaking news.
- Be the areas leading voice in high school sports.
- Connect with the community through Facebook and Twitter.
- Craft coverage based on historical success and adapt approach based on digital metrics and audience needs.
- Capture basic photos and video as needed. Promote personal brand, the brands of colleagues and the company.
- Provide great customer service, helping readers find answers and solutions.
- Bachelor's or masters in communications, journalism or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- At least one year of reporting/newsroom experience is preferred.
- Adept at taking photos and video
- Command of grammar and AP style.
- The ability to produce content that is clean, accurate and "publication ready."
- Passionate and enthusiastic about news and content that will work well with audiences on social platforms.
- Comfortable in fluid, fast-breaking, stressful situations.
- Comfortable using social media such as Twitter, Facebook and Instagram to enhance reporting and promote stories.
- Understands reporting ethics and sourcing.
- Excels in a fast-paced news environment and understands the digital first mission.
- Collaborates well with others.
- Able to work nights and weekends as needed by the news cycle.
- This role requires a valid drivers license, reliable transportation, and the minimum liability insurance required by state law.
- Employment is contingent on passing a post-offer pre-employment background screening.
*Application Instructions: The application only allows one document upload, so please provide all your materials combined as a single attachment (resume, cover letter, work samples, portfolio, links, etc.). This will ensure that you receive the highest consideration.
Gannett Co., Inc.is a proud equal opportunity employer. We are a drug free, EEO employer committed to a diverse workforce. We will consider all qualified candidates regardless of race, color, national origin, sex, age, marital status, personal appearance, sexual orientation, gender identity, family responsibilities, disability, education, political affiliation, or veteran status.