Transportation Maintenance Specialist 2 – Highway Maintenance Specialist
Oregon Department of Transportation
Delivery and Operations Division – Region 2
ODOT is following the direction of the Governor's Office to help slow and prevent the spread of COVID-19. Visit our COVID-19 webpage for more information.
We are looking for someone to join our hardworking crew to help keep Oregon’s roads safe. As part of our maintenance team, you will repair and rebuild roadways, bridges, structures and facilities by hand and by operating heavy or light equipment. If you are dependable and looking for a career with growth potential, ODOT wants you!
We invite members of all diverse communities to join our workforce as we endeavor to best serve Oregonians from every background.
A day in the life:
- Complete weather-related operations.
- Operate a wide variety of heavy equipment and perform manual labor to repair roadway surfaces and shoulders.
- Repair guardrails, milepost markers and fences.
- Set out temporary traffic control signs and devices and flag traffic to protect the traveling public and work crews.
- Dispose of debris, clear brush, mow grass and spray roadside vegetation.
- Maintain drainage systems, dig and clean ditches, repair culverts, inlets and erosion.
- Complete minor service and repair of tools and motorized equipment.
- Perform minor building maintenance including sweeping floors, cleaning toilets, painting and light carpentry.
- Exposure to noise, adverse weather, dangerous equipment, pesticides, fertilizers and hazardous waste materials is expected.
- Must be able to walk, stand, bend and stoop for extended periods of time and be able to lift up to 60 pounds.
- May need to be available at any time including weekends and holidays for emergency, on-call and weather-related purposes.
- At times will be expected to work long hours for continuous days in a row.
- To request a copy of the position description, which includes all duties and working conditions, please email ODOTRecruitment@odot.state.or.us.
What we need:
- Two (2) years of maintenance and/or construction experience in roadway/highway, bridge, sign, drawbridge or landscape (any type of ground maintenance, including tree, shrub and lawn maintenance; sprinkler system maintenance, cleaning ditches and catch basins, or work related to professional/commercial or public landscaping, farming or logging);
- Experience in each of the following areas:
- Operating heavy and/or light motorized equipment;
- Using hand and power tools;
- Performing minor servicing of equipment, AND
- Applying safety procedures.
- Two (2) years of experience operating construction and maintenance machinery to include one or more of the following types: front-end loader, road grader, bulldozer, backhoe, tractor/low-boy, and 5 or 10 yard dump truck.
This position requires the ability to obtain a pesticide applicator’s license within one (1) year of hire.
Employee will be required to use a commercial motor vehicle to conduct business; you must possess a current, valid commercial driver's license A (CDL-A) with combination, air brakes, and tanker endorsements to be considered eligible for this position. A valid driver license and an acceptable driving record are required for this position. We will conduct pre-employment driving records checks, including Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) Clearinghouse registration and full query check for our final candidate(s) and annual query for current employees.
This position requires a maximum 45-minute response time to 1502 N Highway 99W, McMinnville OR 97128 for emergency call-outs.
How to apply:
Visit odotjob.com and search REQ-66308 or https://oregon.wd5.myworkdayjobs.com/SOR_External_Career_Site/job/McMinnville--ODOT--Maintenance/Highway-Maintenance-Specialist_REQ-66308
- For questions, please email Nikki Hlavinka at: ODOTrecruitmentNH@odot.state.or.us.
ODOT is an Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer.