Open & closing dates 06/28/2021 to 06/24/2022
Pay scale & grade GS 5
Salary $35,265 to $55,925 per year
Work schedule Full-time
5482 vacancies in the following locations:
Show fewer locations (24)
West Des Moines, IA
Kansas City, MO
Saint Louis, MO
San Juan, PR
The following are the duties of this position at the full working level. If you are selected at a lower grade level, you will have the opportunity to learn to perform these duties and will receive training to help you grow in this position.
Uses sophisticated interviewing techniques, the employee reviews individual circumstances and goals, and advises on the most advantageous ways to meet them.
Elicits sensitive, personal and financial information, e.g., innocent spouse determinations, bankruptcies, or draws out information the individual may attempt to withhold, e.g., additional sources of income, overpayments, to ensure compliance with reporting and disclosure requirements.
Makes determinations and uses sound judgment concerning controversial matters in reporting as appropriate the degree to which the individual understood their responsibilities and whether errors in their records reflected honest mistakes or fraudulent intent.
Develops, analyzes and evaluates information involving the research of records and the nature of each inquiry including the way it was presented in order to inform and advise, answer inquiries, or resolve problems related to the unique circumstances of each individual or fulfill regulatory requirements.
Explains what future actions are necessary to achieve voluntary compliance by computing and/or advising on tax liability and probable assessment of taxes in cases involving: varied sources of income, including self-employment, itemized personal and business expense deductions, or carryover/carry back of capital losses and investment credit from prior years, or comparable issues requiring reference to the tax code and precedent.
Occasional travel - You may be expected to travel for this position.
Conditions of Employment
- We may select from this announcement or any other source to fill one or more vacancies. Additional jobs may be filled.
- The salary range indicated in this announcement reflects the minimum locality pay up to maximum locality pay for all duty locations listed. The range will be adjusted for selected duty location. General Schedule locality pay tables may be found under Salaries & Wages.
- Alternative work schedule, staggered work hours or telework may be available.
- This is a Bargaining unit position.
- Must be a U.S. Citizen or National.
- A 1-year probationary period is required.
- Have your salary sent to a financial institution of your choice by Direct Deposit/Electronic Funds Transfer.
- Undergo an income tax verification and review of prior performance/conduct.
- Must successfully complete a background investigation, including a FBI criminal history record check (fingerprint check).
- Complete a Declaration for Federal Employment to determine your suitability for Federal employment, at the time requested by the agency.
- If you are a male applicant born after December 31, 1959, certify that you have registered with the Selective Service System or are exempt from having to do so.
- Go through a Personal Identity Verification (PIV) process that requires two forms of identification from the Form I-9. Federal law requires verification of the identity and employment eligibility of all new hires in the U.S. These documents must be unexpired original or certified copies.
- Provide proof of U.S. Citizenship. (Birth certificate showing birth in the U.S; Unexpired U.S. Passport; Certificate of Citizenship or Naturalization; or Report of Birth Abroad of a U.S. Citizen (Form FS-240))
- The employment of any candidate, including a current employee or a new hire, selected for this position may be conditional upon classification and/or audit of federal tax returns. This audit may include up to 2 years of returns.
Federal experience is not required. The experience may have been gained in the public sector, private sector or Volunteer Service. One year of experience refers to full-time work; part-timework is considered on a prorated basis. To ensure full credit for your work experience, please indicate dates of employment by month/year, and indicate number of hours worked per week, on your resume.
You must meet the following requirements by the closing date of this announcement:
SPECIALIZED EXPERIENCE: You must have one year of specialized experience at a level of difficulty and responsibility equivalent to the GS-04 grade level in the Federal service. Specialized experience for this position includes: experience that may have been gained in work with records, documents or financial accounts which involved applying established rules and procedures, or experience gained through work in positions that involved frequent contact with the public researching and responding to non-routine requests for information orally or in writing. The following are examples of specialized experience that may be qualifying and are not all inclusive:
Applying laws, rules or regulations and written guidelines;
Conducting face to face and/or telephone interviews (e.g., collection agency, telemarketing, customer service, sales) resolving problems and issues;
Negotiating with others to resolve issues;
Performing administrative and technical procedures using a computer to locate and review records and reconcile discrepancies;
Working with records or financial accounts applying established rules and procedures (e.g., basic accounting, credits and debits, researching and/or adjusting accounts).
EDUCATION: You may substitute education for specialized experience as follows: Completed at least 4 years of education above the high school level leading to a Bachelor's degree (120 semester hours, 180 quarter hours or 2880 formal classroom hours) or a Bachelors or higher degree.
COMBINATION OF EXPERIENCE AND EDUCATION: You may qualify by a combination of experience and education. Options for qualifying based on a combination will be identified in the online questions.
You must meet the following special requirements:
BILINGUAL POSITIONS ONLY: We are filling both English and bilingual vacancies. For the bilingual vacancies, applicants will be required to self-certify proficiency in Spanish. You must be able to speak the selected language in order to be considered proficient in that language. If you are selected for this bilingual position and fail to demonstrate proficiency, you may be terminated from employment.
For more information on qualifications please refer to OPM's Qualifications Standards.
For positions with an education requirement, or if you are qualifying for this position by substituting education or training for experience, submit a copy of your transcripts or equivalent. An official transcript will be required if you are selected.
A college or university degree generally must be from an accredited (or pre-accredited) college or university recognized by the U.S. Department of Education. For a list of schools which meet these criteria, please refer to Department of Education Accreditation page.
If you are qualifying based on foreign education, you must submit proof of creditability of education as evaluated by a credentialing agency. Refer to the OPM instructions.