OPEN UNTIL FILLED - Review of applications will begin 6/10/21
The Communications and PR Specialist acts as the Public Information Officer (PIO) for the College and is responsible for planning, developing, and implementing internal and external public relations and media relation strategies in support of the College’s Vision, Mission, Values, and Strategic Plan by heightening the College’s reputation and brand.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Supports the College’s success by strengthening media and public relations and raising awareness of the College’s reputation and brand.
- Assists in developing and implementing media and public relations strategy through effective communications, and coordinates efforts with the Marketing and Communications Team.
- Implements media and public relations plans to support the College’s initiatives and events including, but not limited to, enrollment, major gifts, facility renovations and openings, key partnership events, and other newsworthy activities. Provides guidance and support to departments and campuses for event planning and public relations activities.
- Identifies and writes news stories to highlight the College’s academic excellence, new and existing programs, innovative culture, and successes of students, faculty, staff, and other key stakeholders, and cultivates opportunities for headline coverage across various media channels. Takes and edits photos to accompany stories and other written communications.
- Serves as the College's Public Information Officer (PIO) and official media contact and principal spokesperson with a primary focus on always promoting positive public relations. Maintains contact with the Executive Director of Marketing and Communications, and senior leadership as appropriate, in matters relating to news media, public statements, and public relations activities, representing the College and leadership to the news media as needed. Serves as the communications specialist for the emergency operations team.
- Assists with public events, press conferences, meetings, and public appearances as needed.
- Writes content, garners appropriate approvals, and effectively develops and disseminates College communications, including press releases, media packets, feature stories, website content, emails, newspapers, magazines, social media content and internal communication pieces.
- Maintains a database of College-related highlights and key facts, College awards and recognitions, and information on key positions and leaders.
- Assists in increasing internal communications and awareness of various activities, events, recognitions, etc. by identifying and writing stories of interest with the goal of cultivating an informed and proud culture.
- Coordinates communications activities with other members of the Marketing and Communications team to effectively use the website, social media, and other tools to promote and elevate the College’s reputation and brand.
- Works closely with various College entities including, but not limited to, WSGE radio, the GC Foundation, and the Manufacturing and Textile Innovation Network to promote their interests through effective communications and support.
- Supports the College’s athletics program and other dedicated sports communications personnel with media relations and communications activities as needed.
- Develops and maintains an annual “communications activities” calendar that identifies and plans for key communications and activities to support and promote public relations, key events, etc.
- Schedules and coordinates internal and external photography and video services for College public relations-related activities as needed.
- Encourages the submission of suggestions for internal and external PR and media stories and related activities.
- Responds timely to internal and external communications and requests and attends and participates in meetings and other College events to ensure that communications and PR interests are covered. Provides communications and related support as requested such as speech writing, talking points, and scripts.
- Provides editing support for various College and special publications as requested.
- Maintains records of all media coverage and related PR information.
- Maintains a high standard of professionalism in representing the College including confidentiality in all aspects of the position’s responsibilities and adherence to policies, procedures, and other established guidelines as appropriate. Adheres to professional accountability and accepts responsibility for managing situations and problems. Works cooperatively with team members and colleagues, contributing positively and constructively to the achievement of team and College objectives and provide a high level of service to customers by establishing and maintaining effective working relationships and partnerships.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
MINIMUM EDUCATION QUALIFICATIONS
- Bachelor's degree from nationally accredited institution required.
- Bachelor's degree from nationally accredited institution in journalism, communications, or public relations preferred.
MINIMUM EXPERIENCE QUALIFICATIONS
- At least three years of public relations/communications experience, including working with media and writing required.
- Demonstrated knowledge, skills, and experience in the design and execution of public relations and communications required.
- Strong creative, strategic, analytical, and organizational skills required.
- Must be able to assimilate large amounts of information, research topics, and write on unfamiliar topics.
- Strong storytelling, oral and written communications skills required, including excellent skills with structure, grammar, spelling, etc.
- Must be able to build rapport with diverse populations.
- Excellent time-management skills and ability to prioritize and meet deadlines required.
- Valid driver’s license required.
- Proficiency in MS Office software required.
- Basic photography and photo editing skills preferred.
- Knowledge of social media channels and experience using them to support communications efforts preferred.
- Generally works in a traditional climate-controlled office environment and requires the ability to sit for extended periods.
- Some walking, standing, and bending required, with the ability to lift and maneuver items weighing up to 25 pounds.
- Must be able to travel between campuses and to other applicable events.
- Work environment can be stressful at times in dealing with a wide variety of challenges and deadlines.
- In addition to regular office hours, position sometimes requires overtime and/or evening hours.
Gaston College provides a comprehensive, affordable insurance and benefits program. We are continuously investigating new benefit offerings that are responsive to the needs of our regular** employees.
- State Health Plan
- Dental Insurance
- Vision Insurance
- Health Care and Dependent Care Flexible Spending Accounts
- Employee Assistance Program
- Additional Supplemental Insurances
- NC State Retirement Plan
- Supplemental Retirement Plans
- Disability Benefits, Long- and Short-Term
- Longevity Pay
- State Employees' Credit Union Eligibility
- Leave (Vacation, Sick, FMLA, Civil and Military, Child/Student Involvement, Education, and Voluntary Shared)
- Paid Holidays
- Educational Advancement Compensation
- Tuition Assistance
- Employee Discount Program
- Benefits Overview Booklet
**Please note: Temporary (part-time) employees do not earn benefits.