This position will serve as a primary counselor for up to five Pathways inpatients at a time providing case management, counseling, collaborative treatment planning and discharge planning to adults and/or adolescents with primary substance abuse and co-occurring mental health issues; services are delivered under supervision of the Inpatient Clinical Supervisor. This individual must have a clear understanding of substance use disorders and problems of mental health throughout the age continuum. Pathways provides multiple levels of care; every staff member has a role in our patients' success. Staff may be asked to work in other areas of treatment or administration as needed.
Essential Job Duties:
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions
- Provides case management, discharge planning and referrals for up to 5 assigned patients to appropriate level of care/aftercare and to community resources.
- Conducts counseling sessions while establishing therapeutic alliance and maintaining effective working relationships with patient.
- Maintains chart documentation, under supervision, according to Joint Commission, COMAR and Pathways' requirements.
- Collaborates with other Pathways Counselors to manage emergent and complex patient issues including cross-coverage of patients assigned to other counselors as needed.
- Demonstrates knowledge of ASAM and DSM V criteria relative to the assessment of patient needs throughout the course of treatment. Attends and participates in clinical inpatient team meetings, multidisciplinary clinical staff meetings along with in-service and other assigned trainings.
- Facilitate weekly didactic, focus, and/or therapeutic groups as assigned and may be responsible for group coverage due to vacancy or absence.
- Determine patient strengths through counseling and assessment; integrate patient's expressed goals into treatment planning including achievable steps with specified target dates and recognizing progress.
- Work collaboratively with patient and multi-disciplinary teams, under supervision of the Inpatient Clinical Supervisor, to provide care to each patient based on their unique needs, strengths, values and preferences.
- Provides back-up support to Treatment Assistants in supervision of resident environment and activities.
- Conducts room searches and drug testing according to program standards as needed
- AA degree from an accredited college or university with coursework in behavioral health.
- Two years of recovery oriented sobriety may be substituted for one year of education.
- One year of work experience in behavioral healthcare to include individual or group counseling.
- Approval as an Alcohol and Drug Trainee (ADT) is required.
- Certification as a Certified Supervised Counselor Alcohol and Drug (CSC-AD) or higher from the MD Board of Professional Counselor and Therapists is required prior to expiration of ADT approval.
- Basic Life Support (BLS) certification through the American Heart Association, within 30 days of hire.
- Valid driver's license and a driving record with no more than two points.
- Working Conditions, Equipment, Physical Demands:
There is a reasonable expectation that employees in this position will be exposed to blood-borne pathogens.
Physical Demands - Heavy
Heavy work. Exerting up to 100 pounds of force occasionally, and/or up to 50 pounds of force frequently, and/or up to 20 pounds of force constantly to move objects.
The physical demands and work environment that have been described are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions in accordance with the Americans with Disabilities Act.
The above job description is an overview of the functions and requirements for this position. This document is not intended to be an exhaustive list encompassing every duty and requirement of this position; your supervisor may assign other duties as deemed necessary.