This position performs public and community health nursing services in clinics, homes and in the community. This position will provide community based and patient centered counseling, education and information concerning illnesses.
Essential Job Duties:
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions
- Stays abreast of timely and current trends and innovations in public health nursing functions, disease prevention and on-going disease management. Provides leadership to the organization with regard to current trends and innovations in public health nursing.
- Serves as a resource and provides leadership to community groups and co-workers.
- Provides health related education and counseling on the prevention and management of communicable and chronic diseases. Introduces general health related information and instruction to individuals, families and community groups.
- Coordinates health programs and clinics with outside organizations and agencies.
- Coordinates and administers community based screenings and vaccinations. Communicates the results to individuals and families. Refers to the appropriate level of care when necessary.
- Interviews patient to assess and evaluate medical history. Observes and records a patients response to treatment and medication. Coordinates communication between physician and patient.
- Advises patients on available and appropriate medical and social services available. Advocates on patients behalf to coordinate services when necessary.
- Keeps accurate patient records; maintains confidentiality at all times.
- Participates in quality improvement activities.
- Maintains records and data for reporting purposes in coordination with the Director of Community Health Improvement.
- Current Registered Nurse license from the Maryland Board of Nursing. Certification in ambulatory care is preferred.
- Current American Heart Association Health Care Provider Basic Life Support (BLS) C PR certification
Working Conditions, Equipment, Physical Demands:
There is a reasonable expectation that employees in this position will not be exposed to blood-borne pathogens.
Physical Demands -
Medium work. Exerting up to 50 pounds of force occasionally, and/or up to 30 pounds of force frequently, and/or up to 10 pounds of force constantly to move objects.
The physical demands and work environment that have been described are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions in accordance with the Americans with Disabilities Act.
The above job description is an overview of the functions and requirements for this position. This document is not intended to be an exhaustive list encompassing every duty and requirement of this position; your supervisor may assign other duties as deemed necessary.