Tuesday, July 13, 2021
Inc. (NYSE: GCI) is a subscription-led and digitally focused media and
marketing solutions company committed to empowering communities to thrive. With
an unmatched reach at the national and local level, Gannett touches the lives
of millions with our Pulitzer-Prize winning content, consumer experiences and
benefits, and advertiser products and services.
Our current portfolio of media
assets includes USA TODAY, local media organizations in 46 states in the U.S.,
and Newsquest, a wholly owned subsidiary operating in the United Kingdom with
more than 120 local news media brands. Gannett also owns the digital marketing
services companies ReachLocal, Inc., UpCurve, Inc., and WordStream, Inc., which
are marketed under the LOCALiQ brand, and runs the largest media-owned events
business in the U.S., USA TODAY NETWORK Ventures.
To connect with us, visit www.gannett.com.
Sports/News Digital Producer
The Arizona Republic/azcentral.com, part of the USA TODAY NETWORK, is searching for an experienced sports digital producer to join the production desk at The Arizona Republic and azcentral.com in Phoenix, one of the USA TODAY Network's largest news sites and a hub of network coverage in the U.S. Southwest.
A successful candidate must have excellent writing and copy-editing skills with prior digital sports experience and a strong understanding of the Arizona sports scene. Candidates must demonstrate strong news judgment to manage the websites fronts and serve as quality control on its content.
Candidates also must be detail-oriented and work well under pressure to meet demanding deadlines, as well as demonstrate an understanding of audience metrics and SEO with the goal of growing the audience. The ideal candidate will be a strong collaborator, who can work closely with reporters, content coaches and newsroom leadership.
- Edit, produce and publish content, optimizing for SEO and digital best practices.
- Work with reporters and editors on projects, offering digital guidance.
- Manage azcentral.coms home pages, programming desktop and mobile, to engage a loyal audience.
- Direct and edit breaking news reporters in the absence of the breaking news editor.
- Monitor wire services and other media.
- Use metrics to determine traffic patterns and make changes tied to the data. Familiarity with Parse.ly and Google Analytics products a plus.
- Bachelor's or masters degree in communications, journalism or related field or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- 3-5 years of experience working for a daily news organization.
- Excellent news judgment.
- Top-notch writing, editing and headline-writing skills.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Proven experience with advanced storytelling techniques on multiple platforms.
- Proven experience producing quick write-ups based on trending topics.
- Presents a quick, conversational writing style that resonates with mobile and social audiences.
- Proficiency on social media platforms; including but not limited to Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and Snapchat.
- Effective communicator; able to get along with diverse personalities.
- Able to multi-task and excel under intense deadline pressure in a rapidly changing industry.
- Ability to act calmly and decisively in complex breaking news situations.
- Knowledge of AP style.
- Able to work early morning, night or weekend shifts.
- Employment is contingent on passing a pre-employment, post-offer background check.
We are eager to learn more about you and how you fit this role. When you apply, dont limit your upload to a resume; show us what youve done. To do so, put together a single document file that includes the following, in this order:
1. Your resume one to two pages.
2. A cover letter that outlines how you would approach the job.
3. Links to 5 online samples of digital storytelling. Show us what youve produced or had a hand in that best reflects what you can do in your desired role.
It is important that these items be assembled into a single document and uploaded in PDF format. Completing these steps will ensure that your application receives the highest consideration.
Gannett Co., Inc.is a proud equal opportunity employer. We are a drug free, EEO employer committed to a diverse workforce. We will consider all qualified candidates regardless of race, color, national origin, sex, age, marital status, personal appearance, sexual orientation, gender identity, family responsibilities, disability, education, political affiliation, or veteran status.
Copy, Production & Planning