Senior Materials Lab Engineer
Santa Clara Valley (Cupertino) , California , United States
Posted: Jul 13, 2021
Weekly Hours: 40
Role Number: 200259142
Apple's Softgoods Engineering team is relatively newer to Apple. We work with soft polymers, silicones, textiles and leather. Our mission is to use these incredible materials to enable new product categories, and to enhance Apple's existing product lines. Bringing Apple engineering and precision to products made of soft materials is an exciting challenge and requires a creative and open-minded approach. We value people with a desire to learn new skills and a mentality that challenging questions are opportunities for insight. To that end, we are committed to professional development across all aspects of materials and communication, with mentorship and training opportunities both within and outside Apple. What is the role? We have an opportunity for a Sr. Materials Lab Engineer to utilize their in-depth polymer characterization skills using advanced analytical tools to extract the structure-property relationships that drive material performance in our SoftGoods products. You should be a detail-oriented problem solver who can provide actionable recommendations to material and product designers. You should be passionate about materials development and characterization, sustainability and the environment, establishing relationships with cross functional partners and approaching problem solving with curiosity and imagination.
- 2+ years of industry experience with an emphasis on polymer or textile development
- Strong background in mechanical testing of soft materials, including Instron-based characterization (tension/compression, fracture toughness and tear resistance, cyclic deformation, etc.) and advanced DMA and rheometer testing experience
- Robust understanding of how structure-property relationships in polymers govern mechanical performance and experience characterizing these structures through techniques such as FTIR, DSC/TGA, and microscopy.
- Familiarity with soft materials, such as textiles, leathers, non-wovens, and adhesives, is a plus
- Strong ability to communicate detailed knowledge and understanding to various customers with different (including non-technical) backgrounds
- Exceptional analytical and organization skills
- Able to work independently as well as with teammates
- Drive hands-on scientific studies of material performance, from designing an experimentation plan, to operating characterization instrumentation and analyzing final data - Establish trust-based relationships with product design teams in Softgoods and beyond, and apply your expertise to accurately translate product-level requirements into material- level properties - Design custom test procedures based on new product design requirements and validate those procedures through data collection before handing off for scale-up - Provide insight on instrumentation capabilities and limitations in the context of failure analysis and/or material performance testing - Communicate findings in a clear, concise manner to multiple audiences. Extract practical recommendations from lab work to inform on material selection, design feasibility, and manufacturing process development - Stay abreast of new technologies, processes, industry trends and changes in test methodologies - Collaborate with a team of lab engineers to delegate work and provide testing assistance when needed; train others on equipment use and maintenance
Education & Experience
- PhD or MS in Polymer Science & Engineering, Mechanical Engineering with an emphasis in Materials, Material Science, Fiber Science & Engineering, or related fields.