Engineering Systems Administrator
Santa Clara Valley (Cupertino) , California , United States
Posted: Jul 14, 2021
Weekly Hours: 40
Role Number: 200266086
The Platform (ECS) organization takes pride in supporting infrastructure for all Engineering teams at Apple. We are seeking a multifaceted, self-driven individual with deep understanding of building and maintaining Linux and Windows and environments, storage systems, web infrastructure & applications, data base servers, tool/license management, workflow optimization, etc. We believe in technology enablement by collaboration and building phenomenal products at Apple. If you think you fit this description, then we want to talk with you!
- 10+ years in Linux system administrator in an enterprise environment (500+ servers)
- Mid to advanced knowledge of Linux systems and internals (RHEL preferred) with a good understanding of OS customization, package management (RPM, Yum), modules building process and deployment.
- Storage administration and management, primarily with NetApp platform. Experience with Filer setup, access management, disk provisioning, data moves and quota management.
- Mid to advanced knowledge of supporting, handling and maintaining homogenous mix of systems at global sites, CAD Workflows, Licenses, Virtualized and Physical servers and associated networking infrastructure (F5 load balancers, Arista and Cisco switches)
- Extensive experience in setup and configuration of makefiles and compiling/building/installing freeware/tools/binaries on CentOS
- Supporting large scale environments - LDAP, NFS, server virtualization (VMWare), deployments and automation / configuration management (e.g. Puppet or equivalent), modular user shell environments, networking, geographically disperse sites
- Experience in creating software/scripts to automate production systems with fluency in at least one of the following: bash, Perl, ruby, python - proper use of built-in functions and libraries
- Proficiency with source control, continuous integration and testing methods (git, perforce, svn) Strong customer service and documentation skills with ability to balance technical support.
- Able to work independently as well in team projects
- Experienced with Kickstart, NetBoot, DHCP, DNS, monitoring tools (Nagios, Splunk). Effective analytical abilities - descend into applications and flows with little guidance to address performance and reliability issues.
- Batch queueing systems such as SGE, LSF, or Slurm a plus.
In this highly visible role, you will have the responsibility of ensuring Apple's extraordinary Engineering Teams have the infrastructure and tools needed to engineer and design the worlds most sophisticated mobile devices and products! You will be responsible for improving, maintaining, performance tuning and capacity planning of the overall environment. You will need the ability to work unsupervised at times and some travel may be required.
Education & Experience
BS degree or equivalent