Streaming Media Formats Engineer
Santa Clara Valley (Cupertino) , California , United States
Software and Services
Posted: Nov 2, 2020
Weekly Hours: 40
Role Number: 200202817
Apple's Interactive Media Group (IMG) is looking for a creative and dedicated engineer with leadership qualities to join our streaming media team. This technology powers the streaming media experiences on all of Apple's platforms (iPhones/iPads, Apple TV, Apple Watch and macOS) by building on core technologies and frameworks such as Core Media, AVFoundation. The Streaming Media engineering team is looking for a software engineer to work on designing and implementing support for next generation audio/visual media formats in our streaming stack. If you are passionate about solving complex problems with elegant and creative solutions, then this job maybe a perfect fit for you.
- Software development experience in C
- Excellent analytical, programming and debugging skills
- Experience in working with industry standard media file formats (e.g., ISOBMFF) and implementing authoring support for such formats.
- Strong communication and collaboration skills
- Passion for learning new technologies, and eagerness to absorb new concepts
As a streaming media formats engineer, you will be responsible for bringing up support for the next generation of advanced media formats in our stack. You will be involved in developing features, associated tools, contributing to systems design, analyzing performance, a/v-sync, and tuning algorithms for the streaming media framework. Your creativity will shape protocols, implementations and services that bring the best and latest multimedia experiences to our customers. This will give you an opportunity to further enhance your systems-level programming skills and understanding of new media formats. To be successful in this role, you need to be versatile and able to thrive in a fast paced environment.
Education & Experience
BS or MS in CS/CE or equivalent
- Nice to have but not required:
- Proficiency in multi-threaded development
- Object oriented programming skills in either C++, Objective-C, or Swift
- Knowledge of existing audio, visual and caption format standards is a plus (MPEG-2 TS, MP4, WebM, CEA-608, WebVTT, etc)
- Knowledge of streaming media protocols: HTTP Live Streaming (HLS), DASH.
- Experience in developing AR/VR and immersive video streaming
- Working knowledge of media codecs, formats, transports and container protocols