Thursday, July 15, 2021
Inc. (NYSE: GCI) is a subscription-led and digitally focused media and
marketing solutions company committed to empowering communities to thrive. With
an unmatched reach at the national and local level, Gannett touches the lives
of millions with our Pulitzer-Prize winning content, consumer experiences and
benefits, and advertiser products and services.
Our current portfolio of media
assets includes USA TODAY, local media organizations in 46 states in the U.S.,
and Newsquest, a wholly owned subsidiary operating in the United Kingdom with
more than 120 local news media brands. Gannett also owns the digital marketing
services companies ReachLocal, Inc., UpCurve, Inc., and WordStream, Inc., which
are marketed under the LOCALiQ brand, and runs the largest media-owned events
business in the U.S., USA TODAY NETWORK Ventures.
To connect with us, visit www.gannett.com.
Senior New Director-Content
The Cincinnati Enquirer is searching for an experienced newsroom leader to continue our tradition of high-impact, award-winning journalism and innovative audience engagement.
The Senior News Director for Content oversees several of The Enquirers key topic teams, including Government & Politics, Investigations and Sports. Responsibilities include story planning and development with an emphasis on First Amendment, accountability journalism; working with other newsroom leaders to drive digital audience growth and subscriptions; and coordinating statewide coverage with the USA TODAY Networks other news organizations in Ohio. Thats the easy stuff
Our ideal candidate also will be a big thinker and fearless innovator, inspiring a newsroom culture that values excellence, professional growth and spirited camaraderie. In short, we strive to be a destination newsroom for those who want to make a difference and have fun doing it.
The Greater Cincinnati market includes communities in southwest Ohio and northern Kentucky. With major league sports (go Reds!), a blossoming food and craft beer scene, hundreds of parks, world-class performing arts and seven Fortune 500 companies, Cincinnati offers the amenities of a big city with the comfort and charm of a small town.
- Coach reporters and editors in sophisticated storytelling techniques for digital platforms and print.
- Lead the staff in developing exclusive enterprise and investigations that prompt action and improve community life.
- Use analytics and other tools to shape coverage that continuously grows the digital audience and drives subscriptions.
- Act as a public ambassador through community outreach and connect with readers through social media.
- Recruit and nurture a diverse, skilled staff and elevate their skills through coaching and training.
- Work with peer leaders, including in sales and marketing, to help set and execute audience and revenue growth strategies.
- Bachelor's or master's degree in communications, journalism, marketing or related field or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- At least seven years of journalism management experience.
- Sharp news judgment.
- Strong planning and organizational skills.
- Expert knowledge of analytics and other tools to measure digital audience reach and impact.
- Self-motivation and self-direction.
- Effective communication skills; ability to get along with diverse personalities.
- Ability to multitask and excel under deadline pressure in a rapidly changing news environment.
- Readiness to apply innovative, creative thinking to support the company's goals.
- Command of media law and principles of ethical conduct.
We are eager to learn more about you and how you fit this role. When you apply, don't limit yourself to a resume; show us what you've done. Please upload a single document with as much of the following as possible:
A brief cover letter explaining your interest and fit for the position, your updated resume, and portfolio/clips/links to a few samples of your work.
Its important that your materials be combined into a single document (preferably in PDF format). The application only allow one document attachment. Completing these steps will ensure that you receive the highest consideration.
Gannett Co., Inc.is a proud equal opportunity employer. We are a drug free, EEO employer committed to a diverse workforce. We will consider all qualified candidates regardless of race, color, national origin, sex, age, marital status, personal appearance, sexual orientation, gender identity, family responsibilities, disability, education, political affiliation, or veteran status.
Editors of Frontline Journalists