Friday, July 16, 2021
Inc. (NYSE: GCI) is a subscription-led and digitally focused media and
marketing solutions company committed to empowering communities to thrive. With
an unmatched reach at the national and local level, Gannett touches the lives
of millions with our Pulitzer-Prize winning content, consumer experiences and
benefits, and advertiser products and services.
Our current portfolio of media
assets includes USA TODAY, local media organizations in 46 states in the U.S.,
and Newsquest, a wholly owned subsidiary operating in the United Kingdom with
more than 120 local news media brands. Gannett also owns the digital marketing
services companies ReachLocal, Inc., UpCurve, Inc., and WordStream, Inc., which
are marketed under the LOCALiQ brand, and runs the largest media-owned events
business in the U.S., USA TODAY NETWORK Ventures.
To connect with us, visit www.gannett.com.
The Jackson Sun/jacksonsun.com, part of the USA TODAY NETWORK, is seeking an ambitious reporter to cover public safety and courts.
Were looking for a talented reporter who is adept at covering breaking news and shooting video in the field while also having the skills to dig deeper to get at the story behind the first-day coverage.
The Sun is committed to providing public safety and crime reporting that is fair, solution-based and focused on accountability. We want to listen to, engage with and respond to those often underserved and statistically misrepresented in crime and courts coverage. And we aim to balance our crime reporting by highlighting the good news that builds and restores relationships and trust with all residents.
We value top-notch journalism that makes a connection with readers. And well give you the time and coaching to deliver high-impact stories our digital readers crave. Through the USA TODAY Network, we benefit from industry experts, sophisticated tools and training.
- Create storytelling that accurately informs, entertains and engages specific audiences and platforms through the use of metrics.
- Work toward becoming the communitys leading voice in area of expertise.
- Connect with the community through storytelling.
- Provide thoughtful analysis of complex issues.
- Work with your content coach and digital partners to evaluate what's working and what's not and develop ongoing plans to better satisfy audience needs.
- Collaborate with photographers to provide all appropriate elements for stories. Capture basic photos and video as needed.
- Promote your personal brand, the brands of colleagues and the institutional brand.
- Provide great customer service, helping readers find answers and solutions.
- Bachelors or masters degree in communications, journalism or related field preferred or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Strong command of AP grammar and style.
- Strong copy-editing skills and the ability to produce content that is clean, accurate and "publication ready."
- Passionateabout news and content that will work well with audiences on social platforms.
- Comfortablein fluid, fast-breaking, stressful situations.
- Willingnessto grow and develop a key beat in our newsroom.
- Comfortableusing social media such as Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and Snapchat to enhance reporting and promote stories.
- Understandingof reporting ethics and sourcing.
- Excel in afast-paced news environment and understands the digital first mission.
- Collaboratewell with others and can work with a team on the biggest stories.
- This rolerequires a valid drivers license, reliable transportation, and the minimum liability insurance required by state law.
- Employmentis contingent on passing a post-offer pre-employment background check and a motor vehicle record check & drug screen (for driving roles only).
We are eager to learn more about you and how you fit this role. When you apply, dont limit your upload to a resume; show us what youve done. To do so, put together a single document file that includes the following, in this order:
1. Your resume one to two pages.
2. A cover letter that outlines how you would approach the job.
3. Links to 3-6 online samples of your work. Show us what youve produced or had a hand in that best reflects what you can do in your desired role.
It is important that these items be assembled into a single document and uploaded in PDF format. Completing these steps will ensure that your application receives the highest consideration.
Gannett Co., Inc.is a proud equal opportunity employer. We are a drug free, EEO employer committed to a diverse workforce. We will consider all qualified candidates regardless of race, color, national origin, sex, age, marital status, personal appearance, sexual orientation, gender identity, family responsibilities, disability, education, political affiliation, or veteran status.